If Questions are actually Topics, then where are true Questions on Esri Community?

Jump to solution
01-29-2024 10:02 AM
AllenDailey1
Occasional Contributor III

I have a question about Esri Community; the question was sparked when I was looking at my badges.  I thought I should have another badge for posting questions.  So I found my "private stats," (see below) and it says I have posted zero questions.  I guess when I post questions in communities like ArcGIS Pro Questions, it actually counts as starting a topic (?).  This feels confusing because the discussion board is called "Questions."  Yet in stats, it is "topics."  

That leads me to the question, if that doesn't count as questions, then what does?  In what part of Esri Community are true "questions" posted?  

AllenDailey1_1-1706551295965.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JesseCloutier
Esri Community Manager

@AllenDailey1, the Private Stats widget comes with some 'out-of-the-box' language from our platform vendor, which is  why you're seeing an (understandably) confusing difference between what it lists as Topics and what it lists as Questions. The original Q&A type post that the platform came with isn't something we use—if we did and you were publishing posts in it, those would be tracked in the Questions Posted row you've highlighted. Instead, we use the Topics type post for what we have renamed as Questions throughout Esri Community. That's why you're seeing 30 there (the number of original Questions posts you've published) and the Replies row underneath it references how many responses on Topics (Questions) you've published. I hope I didn't make that more confusing—do let me know if it wasn't clear!

Jesse Cloutier
Community Manager, Engagement & Content

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

How can I see my stats? Can you post the link?

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It's at the bottom of your profile page

JesseCloutier
Esri Community Manager

@AllenDailey1, the Private Stats widget comes with some 'out-of-the-box' language from our platform vendor, which is  why you're seeing an (understandably) confusing difference between what it lists as Topics and what it lists as Questions. The original Q&A type post that the platform came with isn't something we use—if we did and you were publishing posts in it, those would be tracked in the Questions Posted row you've highlighted. Instead, we use the Topics type post for what we have renamed as Questions throughout Esri Community. That's why you're seeing 30 there (the number of original Questions posts you've published) and the Replies row underneath it references how many responses on Topics (Questions) you've published. I hope I didn't make that more confusing—do let me know if it wasn't clear!

Jesse Cloutier
Community Manager, Engagement & Content
0 Kudos
AllenDailey1
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you very much, @JesseCloutier !  That definitely makes sense.  😊