Story Map Journal Content Disappeared

04-18-2019 03:38 PM
KateCarlson
Occasional Contributor

Hi-  I have just come across a problem that I have never seen before and hoping there is someone out there to shed some light on the cause.  

I have student working on a Journal story map on her Mac using Safari... not sure if there are any known issues with this browser and the builder, but she has constructed a lengthy story with text, pictures, and created new maps within the builder. She logged out and came back to find an empty shell, the Web App is listed in her Content along with all the maps she created, but to the Story Map opens as it does the first time it is create with this screen:

I had her log into to AGOL Assistant to see if her content shows in the Json, but it is an empty Web App, none of her work was saved or it was deleted/removed somehow.  Yikes!  

Any thoughts?  Thanks much-

Kate

0 Kudos
2 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Kate -- Oh no! I'm very sorry your student had that experience. There are no known issues saving stories or losing content when using the Map Journal Builder and Safari.

The Journal builder doesn't autosave, so it's possible that she didn't realized her work was not being saved and she never clicked the save button. There may have also been network issues (which could happen using any browser), but she should have seen an error message if she clicked the Save button and the save didn't work properly. The builder will also prompt you if you try to close the browser window when there are unsaved changes.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
KateCarlson
Occasional Contributor

Hi Owen-

Thanks for your message.  That was my first thought that she did not save the app as she worked, but she ensured me that she saved multiple times as she was building content.  She was definitely in the journal app creating maps from within, this student has never used the ArcGIS Online side of things, only accessing story maps and creating web maps (10-12 maps for this story) through storymaps.arcgis.com.  I have never seen this in all the years I have been working with these apps, so weird! 

Kate

0 Kudos