This week we will look at a simple Binary classification technique which normally classifies your data to yes/no, true/false, this/that categories. We evaluate if zoning plays a role in building permits being revoked. To do this we start by reading in the Building Permits data for Miami, FL since 2014 and filter the data to include only those permits that are still approved and those that have been revoked.
Normally, issued building permits get revoked/cancelled later if the scope of work changes from what was initially estimated and applied for. We see if that is a factor, and if yes how strong a factor in successfully classifying our permits as revoked or not. We split our data into a 75% training set which is used to build our classifier. The remaining 25% of data is used to test how well our classifier performs. Depending on the application at hand, training and test data may not be derived from the same source but in the interest of these notebooks we will work with the same data. We use the sklearn library of Python to build this classifier and to evaluate its performance. Don't forget to check out our notebook to see what quantified impact zoning has on permits being revoked.
A binary classifier can be built to answer several questions with your civic data. To name a couple, you can evaluate
Link to notebook - Does zoning play a role in building permits being revoked?