How to get address of new point using arcade?

01-17-2022 11:02 AM
AGP
by
Occasional Contributor

I need to store the street name (and any other address information) of every new created point in ArcGIS Pro into a field of the feature layer.

At first we had a polyline feature layer with address information and it was easy but now users are asking me to use the ArcGIS Online World Geocoding Service or any locator to do reverse geocoding. I don't see how to do it using arcade. Is it even possible? Is there any other option?

5 Replies
Matt-Huser
Occasional Contributor

@AGP I'm running into the same issue.  We are attempting to convert all of our old ArcMap Attribute Assistant functionality to Attribute Rules using Arcade.  I was hoping there was a direct replacement for the "GET_ADDRESS_USING_ARCGIS_SERVICE" function that Attribute Assistant has but I'm not seeing an ability to reverse geocode using Arcade.  Have you learned anything further since posting this question you could share?

AGP
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Matt-Huser. Unfortunately not. We had other issues with attribute rules that led us to abandon the migration altogether.

0 Kudos
Matt-Huser
Occasional Contributor

@AGP Thanks for the response and sorry to hear that.  Are you sticking with ArcMap and Attribute Assistant or going a completely different route with ArcGIS Pro?  Also curious to know what other issues you ran into to see if there is more I haven't identified for my organization.  Appreciate any info thanks!

0 Kudos
AGP
by
Occasional Contributor

@Matt-HuserI'm no longer working in that project and as far as I know my colleagues put it on ice and are working on other aspects of that project until the customer decides if we should look for an alternative (a custom development, I guess) or wait for a future upgrade that eventually could improve this functionality and would justify an Enterprise upgrade to get the improved Arcade functions and rule functionality.

To name a few, we had issues with complex rules that worked in file gdb but not in an Enterprise GDB. Arcade lacks basic functions making some simple processing (like clipping intersecting features or making external requests) really difficult or impossible to script. Users wanted to use their own rules or disable GDB rules they didn't need for a particular task, but we didn't find an easy (or any) way to reach their needs. If you want to get new Arcade functions you have to upgrade Enterprise with all its implications (not something you want to be doing often).

I'm not saying attribute rules do not work at all but I think they are not suitable for this particular project we were working on.

0 Kudos
GelcysWilliams
New Contributor III

With ArcGIS desktop going away, we are trying to migrate our Attribute Assistant items to Attribute Rules and can't find how to replace this geocoding rule.  Help!! We are running out of time and don't see this feature being replaced?!

0 Kudos