Are attribute rules supported in ArcGIS Enterprise with data hosted in ArcGIS Datastore?

10-19-2022 02:26 AM
JamesMorrison1
Occasional Contributor

Hello Everyone

Sorry for the basic question (just learning) but are  attribute rules supported in ArcGIS Enterprise with data hosted in ArcGIS Datastore?

I read in the ESRI documentation that currently attribute rules are not supported in hosted feature layers in ArcGIS Online..so I assume the same for ArcGIS Enterprise.

Attribute rules can only be used with referenced data like from a fGDB or eGDB?

Thanks for the clarification.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jake_S
by
Occasional Contributor II

James,

'Immediate calculation and constraint rules are evaluated at the time of the edit operation. For feature service edits to evaluate these rule types, the dataset must be shared as a web feature layer using the Reference registered data option.'

So you will not be able to utilize AR for your data.

Here is a link to the documentation

~ Jake

0 Kudos
JamesMorrison1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the replay Jake much appreciated.

1. Will this become an option in the future?

I read the following,"Attribute rules are coming to hosted feature services and to forms so that you can execute business logic in your form connected or offline." January 03, 2021 - Introducing smart forms in ArcGIS Field Maps

As I am trying the following, see point 2.

2. I'm trying to work on a simple case for learning and posted a related question here 

Geometry check options on web editing with data in... - Esri Community

Thanks for you help.

0 Kudos
Jake_S
by
Occasional Contributor II

James,

For #1, I have not seen anything documented regarding this. You can keep up with changes here, Release Notes

For #2, this would be outside of my realm of knowledge. It might me possible to employ the same logic here, Limit Edits within a Boundary with Attribute Rules

Not sure though.

~Jake

JamesMorrison1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Jake - appreciated.

0 Kudos
AndrewQuee
Occasional Contributor III

We're working on transitioning from client-server (EGDB) to web hosted feature layer editing through Enterprise-Portal.  You sure can use attribute rules on feature classes in the Data Store (wherever that is, we are using Oracle right now) but yes you have to use the hosted feature layers only to edit through the application.

I believe you can actually edit the data directly but because you're required to register as branch versioned to get referenced feature layers, there are limitations.

Branch Versioning documentation   

"Limitations of branch versioning include the following:

• Branch versioned datasets are not accessible in ArcMap and versions earlier than ArcGIS Pro 2.1.
  • Most editing workflows only support accessing branch versioned datasets from your organization's portal as a web feature layer."

Branch Versioning Scenarios 

"After registering datasets as branch versioned, editing will be completed through the feature service. Portal users will need to have access to the web feature layers and a role that includes the privilege to edit features.

• Geoprocessing tools that modify data can be used when directly accessing branch versioned datasets from a database connection. These tasks should be reserved for the data owner to facilitate operations such as bulk data loading."