Why do ArcGIS Reader/Desktop not function properly with Geopackage?

12-10-2019 12:24 PM
BrettCarlock
New Contributor II

I have noticed an interesting behavior with ArcMap Desktop 10.7.1 as well as ArcReader 10.7.1 when it comes to vector features stored in an OGC Geopackage database.

The data can be displayed, symbolized, filtered, attribute table explored, and otherwise interacted with fairly normally.

However, two critical limitations are this:

1) The Identify Tool can not query these layers (in the screenshot below, only returning RGB values from a raster)

2) The Find Tool can not query these layers.

This exact same MXD loaded into ArcGIS Pro 2.4 does not present with these issues.

1) Explore tool can return the values properly/as expected

2) When the layer is configured as a Locate Provider, it returns values properly/as expected

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or if anyone else has any direction on this issue. I find it a bit strange to be seeing this behavior considering that OGC Geopackage has been supported in ArcGIS Desktop since 2014 (10.2.x), and ESRI was a member of the steering committee that helped draft the OGC Geopackage standard.

As this behavior currently stands, I can not store vector features in an OGC Geopackage and hope to have users with ArcGIS Desktop/Reader interact with these data successfully.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
BrettCarlock
New Contributor II
0 Kudos