Sum Attribute from Stacked/Coincident Lines in ArcGIS

Jump to solution
09-24-2021 08:13 AM
Labels (3)
DanSeidensticker
Occasional Contributor

I have line features of Bus Routes where every route/feature has an attribute with the Number of Buses per Hour. Up to 16 different routes can run down the same street. I want to summarize all the coincident line features into a single line with a sum of the number of buses.

The attached screen capture is an example where there are 8 coincident routes/features in the selection. I want a single feature with the total of HW2_Bus, which would be 21.Capture.PNG

I'm looking for a way to do this in ether ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

yes sorry, even the unsplit lines option wouldn't be ideal.  How about... Spatial Join (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation Join it to itself, match option of 'identical' and set a 'sum' merge rule of the fields in the field mapping.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
DanSeidensticker
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I first did a Feature To Line to break all the routes into segments by intersection.  After that, used Spatial Join on itself to calculate the attribute summary (total buses).  Then used Delete Identical to delete all the duplicate line work so that there was no overlapping geography.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Possibly Dissolve (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation with the field statistics set as 'SUM'

0 Kudos
DanSeidensticker
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately Dissolve does not work because the Sum returns the Bus total of all the line segments, not just where the line segments overlap. It's looking like I need some sort of overlay analysis that will sum in the Z direction. Union or Intersect come to mind, but they don't have a Sum option.

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

yes sorry, even the unsplit lines option wouldn't be ideal.  How about... Spatial Join (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation Join it to itself, match option of 'identical' and set a 'sum' merge rule of the fields in the field mapping.

0 Kudos
DanSeidensticker
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I first did a Feature To Line to break all the routes into segments by intersection.  After that, used Spatial Join on itself to calculate the attribute summary (total buses).  Then used Delete Identical to delete all the duplicate line work so that there was no overlapping geography.