Failed to Execute GPX to Features

Jump to solution
10-06-2021 12:47 PM
Labels (1)
Rubicon
New Contributor II

I am trying to run the "GPX to Features" tool in ArcMap 10.8 to convert tracks from a handheld Garmin device, but I keep getting the following error:

```
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "c:\program files (x86)\arcgis\desktop10.8\ArcToolbox\Scripts\GPXtoFeatures.py", line 260, in <module>
gpxToPoints(gpx, outFC)
File "c:\program files (x86)\arcgis\desktop10.8\ArcToolbox\Scripts\GPXtoFeatures.py", line 36, in gpxToPoints
tree = ElementTree.parse(gpxfile)
File "<string>", line 62, in parse
File "<string>", line 38, in parse
ParseError: unbound prefix: line 1, column 1085

Failed to execute (GPXtoFeatures).
```

This seems like an issue with the script for the tool itself, which I have not edited. I am using the tool "as is" from the default toolboxes in ArcMap. I use this tool often and it worked a few days ago. I am not familiar with Python.

What does this error mean and what can I do to fix it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

It's possible that the GPX file is in some way corrupted? I would try a new GPX file created on you Garmin. Walk around outside for a minute capture a track then try and import that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

It's possible that the GPX file is in some way corrupted? I would try a new GPX file created on you Garmin. Walk around outside for a minute capture a track then try and import that.

0 Kudos
Rubicon
New Contributor II

The tool worked on other GPX files from different Garmin devices, so I think you are right that it was corrupted.

0 Kudos