Copy and Paste/Layer Issue

09-03-2021 11:59 AM
PoweshiekCounty
New Contributor

Hello everyone,

I am using ArcMap 10.5.1 and am struggling with fixing a single attribute within a layer that doesn't work with the copy & paste function. What I'm specifically trying to do involves taking one attribute from a layer and pasting it into another layer. However, every time I try to do this, an error message comes up that says "HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component". I have tried a lot of the basic suggestions (i.e. turning off background processing, repair geometry, created new layer with same info, etc.) but have not been successful. I ruled out the possibility of the copy &  paste tool not working in general because it works on other attributes within the same layer & other layers. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@PoweshiekCounty , are you working in Pro or Map?

If Pro, are you using Paste Special, and then specifying your target layer?

David
..Maps with no limits..
0 Kudos
PoweshiekCounty
New Contributor

Map

0 Kudos
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@PoweshiekCounty, move the data you want to copy onto your C:drive or another local drive. This is often related to a network issue

David
..Maps with no limits..
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Does the problematic field have a different data type than the fields that you have been successful with thus far?

0 Kudos
PoweshiekCounty
New Contributor

No

0 Kudos
kurdishbrwar
Occasional Contributor

Hello madam, in order for the members to understand the problem, is it possible to include a picture of the nature of the problem you are facing in the program, and for all appreciation and respect, M. Sabah Al Barwari.

0 Kudos