ArcMap Drawing Tool error

Jump to solution
07-07-2022 08:20 AM
Labels (1)
Da-WeiLiou
New Contributor III

Can someone help me with the ArcMap Drawing tool error ?  I use the Drawing tool to create either a line or a polygon, but after I finished.  It just became a box with black background (the following image).  Thanks for any input.  Thanks.

Da-Wei

error.JPG

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

If it is a drawn graphic and not an actual feature in a layer, select the graphic, right-click on it and then select Properties. That will bring up the dialog to adjust its symbol properties. You'll find the outline width adjustment on the Symbol tab of the properties dialog.

If this corrects your problem, it's possible that the default symbol in your Arcmap was set up with a large outline width. This can be checked on the Drawing toolbar. That toolbar has a single pulldown menu accessed by clicking on the "Drawing" label at far left of the toolbar. At the bottom of that menu is an option called "Default Symbol Properties." Click that and then in the dialog that appears, click the Fill symbol type option. That will show you what it is currently set at:

defaultSymbolProperties.jpg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Da-WeiLiou
New Contributor III

Thank you so much for the help!

Da-Wei

View solution in original post

4 Replies
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Assuming that the graphic does not have a very large outline width, It looks to me like a case where you have set a reference scale for the data frame and so the graphics are responding to it. Look at the General tab of the Data Frame properties. Look for the "Reference scale" pull down menu.

For example, here I have a graphic box with a 1pt outline, drawn at a data frame scale of 1200 but the reference scale is set at 100,000:

referenceScaleExample.jpg

0 Kudos
Da-WeiLiou
New Contributor III

Hi, Steve,

Thank you so much.  Follow your instruction I did found some help.  But even though I changed the Reference Scale to none or larger scale, the line I draw is still very very thick.  How can you change the width of line just like you wrote that you draw that box with 1 pt ?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

If it is a drawn graphic and not an actual feature in a layer, select the graphic, right-click on it and then select Properties. That will bring up the dialog to adjust its symbol properties. You'll find the outline width adjustment on the Symbol tab of the properties dialog.

If this corrects your problem, it's possible that the default symbol in your Arcmap was set up with a large outline width. This can be checked on the Drawing toolbar. That toolbar has a single pulldown menu accessed by clicking on the "Drawing" label at far left of the toolbar. At the bottom of that menu is an option called "Default Symbol Properties." Click that and then in the dialog that appears, click the Fill symbol type option. That will show you what it is currently set at:

defaultSymbolProperties.jpg

0 Kudos
Da-WeiLiou
New Contributor III

Thank you so much for the help!

Da-Wei