Issues with Printing Basemap via WAB Mapplication

02-11-2016 09:43 AM
BrianO_keefe
Occasional Contributor III

So here you can see, when I zoom in I am able to "see" the basemap. Yes, I understand that this is a Javascript rendering situation (most likely) or something very similar. But when I click print on this map (which is internal only so I can't share a URL) I get the wonky output you see where the basemap is suddenly not visible!

So, I haven't played with any of the map level settings in the WAB. But if it would correct this issue by lining up our Map Levels up with the ESRI Basemap service then I'm sold.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. This is really frustrating.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BrianO_keefe

It looks like the only way to correct this issue is to remove the bottom-most scales.

In the WAB it's under Map > Customize Visible Scales > Customize > Click on scale > Click on Delete

Very frustrating.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Brian thanks but I think I would like it to print even at super-fine scales. What you see = what you get, users expect this. 

Sure, it will be pixelated. But pixelated is often better / preferred over nothing at all. ESRI - in a WAB update, can you please allow us to have the basemap show up, regardless of scale?   I don't care if it's 1:400 and super pixelated. Trust me, users get it. They understand it will be pixelated, and that is OK. It's better than not at all.

0 Kudos
BrianO_keefe

Kevin, you're missing the issue here. When you go to print at those low scales you DON'T get pixelated basemaps, I would be happy with pixelated basemaps... you get "BASEMAP NOT AVAILABLE" on the PDF even tho you DO get the visual in the Web Map.

So it's two different outputs. One for Screen and a completely different for PDF which caused multiple service tickets from end users because they could see the basemap on their screen but it wouldn't translate over to their PDF print.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

hm I should have worded it better. That's exactly what I meant, also. I am agreeing with you.

ESRI should let us print basemaps at any scale, in a future WAB / API update. the screen should match the printout. I was basically asking ESRI to implement what you and I are asking for....I would like them to implement this in a future update.  I have also had users ask the same thing. 

0 Kudos
BrianO_keefe

Some days I hate online forums because of how easily they can become convoluted.

Thank you for clarifying.

Yeah, this is an annoying glitch that doesn't make sense. I hope they come up with a solution to fix it.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sure thing, and I understand. Hah. Could have gone worse. At least it didn't devolve into a YouTube comments section. (yikes!)

Overall I love WAB, it's going to exponentially increase our effectiveness as a GIS dept. Moxie's design and architecture of it are beautiful, classic object oriented design.

But yes, this is one of those things that one must see from the users' perspective. There's no Off!  It needs a 'reset' button, and/or an on/off for the 'remembering'.  Our flagship viewer with many layers could get 'messed up' (the technical term, you know!!)  and I envision users calling me..I'd walk them through deleting the cache... Which may reset other things they didn't want to reset, etc etc.  And so we shall wait until WAB 1.4 for now.

0 Kudos