Sharing Web AppBuilder apps with multiple users

Jump to solution
06-10-2015 01:34 PM
JillianStanford
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

Is there a way to make a Web AppBuilder app available to multiple users in the organization?

We are trying to replicate a workflow that we used with ArcGIS Viewer for Flex in which we created template applications that multiple users could duplicate and modify to create their own applications. How can we accomplish the same thing with WAB when it seems I can only see applications that I created even if the data and webmap are shared with the entire organization? I know I can create a custom theme that defines the look and feel of the app but I want to be able to set a default web map and default widgets etc.... There is also a need for managers to be able to modify, delete and deploy other user's apps. ArcGIS Viewer for Flex allowed for this.

Hope that's clear.

Thanks for any ideas!

Jill

16 Replies
LarryStout

They were.  The Developer Edition hadn't even been conceived yet.  It was hot news two months later.

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I actually don't have anything to add here. I don't have the need for multiple individuals to use WAB to develop or configure apps, so I have not gone down this rabbit hole. I will leave this to those who have experience in this area.

0 Kudos
SubuSwaminathan1
Occasional Contributor

The big picture issue here is the forced link between the WAB developer edition and the named user model. Secondly - being forced to use web maps instead of ArcGIS server Rest services for WAB basemaps.

I can see the need for application registration if one chooses to deploy one's app in AGOL but why does esri force all customers/developers down this road? These should be optional steps than requirements.My org is an esri customer and we pay for both ArcGIS Server and AGOL but are really frustrated with the some of the unnecessary technical restrictions around being forced into using named-users and AGOL web maps.

I say this here because the folks who responded here have been building web applications from the Flex era and before and might appreciate the loss of developer and customer freedom more than others just joining in.

Thanks,

Subu

JunshanLiu

For this requirement: " we created template applications that multiple users could duplicate and modify to create their own applications", the coming release will have this feature.

For this requirement: " managers to be able to modify, delete and deploy other user's apps", we have planned to use the AGOL/portal's role model, but it needs a lot of work to do, so we may not have this feature in recent releases.

JillianStanford

Well, I guess that answers my question.

It's too bad that we can't use this as a direct replacement for ArcGIS Viewer for Flex.

Thanks everyone for contributing to the discussion!

Jill

JamesEyre
New Contributor II

Any idea when this will be implemented?

DanMcCoy1
New Contributor III

Junshan Liu wrote:

For this requirement: " we created template applications that multiple users could duplicate and modify to create their own applications", the coming release will have this feature.

For this requirement: " managers to be able to modify, delete and deploy other user's apps", we have planned to use the AGOL/portal's role model, but it needs a lot of work to do, so we may not have this feature in recent releases.

Have there been improvements in these areas in the last 5 years?

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos