Polygon overlay analysis in WAB

02-02-2023 11:31 PM
ChrisH2
New Contributor III

Hi all,

Looking for advice on how to undertake some summary analysis within WAB.  ArcGIS Enterprise

Our users are using the Smart Editor to sketch polygons for proposed project areas. This is performed through visual interpretation of a number of layers (at which the logic is too variable and subjective for us to try and systemise this step at the moment) until the user is satisfied that they have a "proposed project" polygon.

What we require as the next step is some analysis against other layers within the map. The vegetation layer contains 12 vegetation types, and we need to know which vegetation types intersect with the proposed area, and what % for each (e.g. 20% of the proposed project is "forest", and 80% is "heathland". Likewise with a planning layer and several others. This information can be presentated in a tabular or chart form.

The Incident and Situation Awarness widgets kind of do what's required but have specific shortcomings including onlybeing able to draw a polygon, not reference a polygon from from existing layers. Ideally we'd be able to do this on selected features , or all features within the project layer.

Any tips on what approach to take is appreciated.

My Plan B is to take the resultant layer over to an ArcGIS dashboard and do the analysis in Arcade, but I know that'll be slow

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BrianLeroux
Occasional Contributor III

The situation Awareness tool does let you use existing features. Simply click a feature on the map. In the popup window, use the ellipses (3 dots) in the bottom right corner. Then choose Ste Location to use that in the situation awareness tool. If you want to add more features just follow the same process and choose the add/remove option in the pop up menu. We use it all the time and it works great. You can also use the buffer settings around your features if needed.

0 Kudos
ChrisH2
New Contributor III

thanks @BrianLeroux , I'd totally overlooked that. What I'm now able to achieve with the Situation Awareness tool is to obtain and sum the area of any vegetation polygon that  intersects the proposed project area.

This is the total area of those vegetation polygons (the whole yellow circle in the diagram below), not just the portion of each of them that's completely contained within the proposed project area (i.e. the green portions of the circle below) - that's the result that I need, and then ideally calculating the % of the project (blue) covered by the vegetation (green).

To achieve that I guess there would have to be some sort of intersect function, and I'm wondering if this is not possible without some use of the analysis widget or calling a geoprocessing service...Capture999.PNG 

0 Kudos
BrianLeroux
Occasional Contributor III

I feel like what you are trying to do it out of scope for what the situational awareness widget does. Personally I would create my own gp service to do something like this however, you could probably string a few widgets together to get what you need. the problem is you would probably need to run each widget separately. I have some user workflows I did like this such as using the select widget and then use a query widget using the selection.

0 Kudos
ChrisH2
New Contributor III

Thanks Brian, I'm coming to the same conclusion and I think a gp service may be what's required. 

0 Kudos