Custom Print Service Doesn't Print Polygon Layers

Jump to solution
10-27-2021 12:56 PM
Labels (1)
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello,

I have a custom print service that I built using a series of layout .mxds and the Export Web Map/Get Layout Template Info tools and scripts in the Server/Printing GP tools. I set up a template to add layers to the legend and show only the features in the map view. I've published the print service to a server federated with our organizations Portal. I'm building a web app specifically to assist a set of users with printing and I'm getting what I think is a strange output:

When I have a polygon layer visible, the output legend does not add the layer and the appropriate patches for the features in view. (See first attachment). If a point layer or line layer are visible, they show up in the legend just fine. However, the problem seems to be occurring only when a polygon layer is symbolizing based on an attribute. If I turn on a polygon layer that uses single-feature symbology, that layer appears just fine in the legend (See second attachment). To add further confusion, if I have a point layer symbolizing based on an attribute, that layer appears in the legend as expected as well. It is only polygon layers symbolized based on an attribute that fail to appear.

I have tested with multiple print services (as this print service is a specialized one, I had a previously published print service that I've tested against). The problem is reproduced across all of them. I have also used multiple different attribute-symbolized polygon layers - the problem occurs for them all so I suspect it is not some kind of sharing or permissions issue.

Is this a known limitation of the WAB print widget? Any ideas as to the cause?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

I actually found out...if not what's wrong then at least a way around the issue. Publishing from Pro to the federated (hosting server) creates a map image layer as a portal item. This was the layer I was attempting to add and have print. However it turns out that if I added the same layer from the REST endpoint, the issue did not reproduce and the layout worked as expected. Not sure why exactly that would be the case, but I'll consider it a solution to this issue at least.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Can you provide a screenshot of what the layout would look like if generated from ArcMap and not from a print service?

0 Kudos
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

I actually found out...if not what's wrong then at least a way around the issue. Publishing from Pro to the federated (hosting server) creates a map image layer as a portal item. This was the layer I was attempting to add and have print. However it turns out that if I added the same layer from the REST endpoint, the issue did not reproduce and the layout worked as expected. Not sure why exactly that would be the case, but I'll consider it a solution to this issue at least.

0 Kudos