Edit Widget : Font for a symbol not recognized by the feature template

01-19-2011 01:51 AM
carinestolz
New Contributor
Dear all,

I am developing an application with the FlexViewer and I would like to allow the editing functionality (with the "Editwidget" ).

I've made an "editMapService" that contains 3 layers : "editPoint", "editLines" and "editPolygons".
For each layer, I have created a "feature template" based on a symbology using a particular font called : "esri_sitac". I installed this font on the server. In arcMap, I am able to draw points, lines or polygons with my feature templates and the symbology is working (with my special font).

I published my editMapService on ArcGIS server and I added "editPoint", "editLines" and "editPolygons" featurelayers to my flexviewer configuration.

When I open the EditWidget the symbology is wrong, it seems that the widget template do not recognize my particular font "esri_sitac". For example, if I expected a "square with a point inside" symbol, it appears as a "%".

Does someone know what I need to add to the EditWidget or to the Flexviewer to have the good symbology ?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Carine
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
I'm not sure why your custom font isn't coming through.  Here are a few comments/questions that might help...

Is it the labels of the features that are using a specific font?  If so, since the FeatureLayer is drawn client side, each user would need to have that font installed on their computer.

Or is it the actual symbol that was created using that font? If for example using a "character marker symbol", then ArcGIS Server should convert that marker to an image that can be used by all clients (even if they don't have the font). Go to your ArcGIS Service directory, navigate to the specific layer in your map service, then look at the "Drawing Info->Renderer", you should see the text "Picture Marker Symbol" followed by the actual symbol used.

Does it look "right" if you look at the service using preview from ArcGIS Server ("View In ... JavaScript")?

Does it look "right" if you add your service as a layer of type "dynamic" to your FlexViewer application?
0 Kudos
carinestolz
New Contributor
Thanks for your reply bjorn

I found an answer on the resource center :
http://resources.arcgis.com/content/kbase?fa=articleShow&d=35691

I reboot my server after instaling the font and now I can see my "font symbols" in the Flexviewer and on the rest api. It works !

Many thanks,

Carine
0 Kudos