Use other ArcGIS products to create spaces in ArcGIS Urban

08-11-2022 12:53 AM
KennethLindhardt1
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Urban people, I’m trying to figure out a way to use other ArcGIS products to add information to the Urban plan. Does anyone have any tips and tricks for that?

So what I’ve found so far by opening the plan in PRO, is that the spaces polygon layer holds the geometry and the space information.

• The Branch ID is the Plan
  • Parcel ID is the Parcel
  • SpaceUseTypeID is the

Multiple floors in a building needs multiple polygons

So I would guess that the FloorNumber is an array of each floor, so that floorNumber 1 reads the height of the floors number 0 and translate that Floor number in 3D.

But that don’t seem to be true, it seems like Urban translate the polygon automatically on copying a floor, while drawing a polygon in a 2D space from another application, will make all the floors to be in the same place.

This test case is to figure out if I for example could receive information from a Survey123 and transform that information into an ArcGIS Urban 3D model.

What do you think, is that possible?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KennethLindhardt1

Ha, I can see that I need to read about the Urban API.

KennethLindhardt1_0-1660213781623.png

0 Kudos
Till_Schmid
Esri Contributor

Hi @KennethLindhardt1 

Thank you for your question! The short answer is that adding spaces in ArcGIS Pro is currently not supported. If you would like to add spaces in an external tool, please have a look at the ArcGIS Urban API.

The long answer:

• Spaces in ArcGIS Urban are stored as 3D polygons (with a z-coordinate), this means that editing in 2D will not work. However, I strongly advise against editing Urban data directly in ArcGIS Pro because this most likely will lead to broken data.
  • If you would like to add spaces from an external tool, please have a look at the ArcGIS Urban API  (which you already discovered). There is an operation called createSpaces() that lets you add spaces. If you have questions about the Urban API, please have a look at the documentation or the Urban API Place in the Esri Community.
  • If you would like to connect ArcGIS Urban with ArcGIS Pro, please have a look at the Urban Connector. However, this tool currently doesn't let you synchronize edits on spaces back to Urban.

Besides that, I am interested in the background of your question and why you would like to connect ArcGIS Urban to a Survey123 (you can also reach out to me directly).

Let me know if you still have questions.

Thanks,

Till

0 Kudos
KennethLindhardt1

Hi Till, I tried to reach out to you on email, please let me know 😉