Tracker's Point Collection Interval

06-10-2021 03:54 AM
JasonCyphers
Occasional Contributor III

What is the frequency at which Tracker collects a user's location?  Is it based on the Field Maps Collection Settings > Streaming, or is it a set interval based on either distance traveled or time?

Wanting to report on average speeds and time spent on activities (walking, driving, stationary) in a dashboard, but need some reference to how often the points are obtained for those calculations.

TIA!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is covered in depth in this FAQ. Basically, points are collected based on distance and activity in order to avoid capturing unnecessary points and to improve battery life. There is no strict temporal frequency.

0 Kudos
JasonCyphers

Thanks.  Wasn't sure if the frequency of point collection could be modified any or not.

So, doesn't look like I'll be able to do what I was hoping to... report (on a dashboard indicator widget) report the total amount of time spent performing walking, driving, stationary activities.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeah I don't think you'd be able to do this on-the-fly. You'd have to post process the data to find times when someone was moving and when they were dwelling. There are tools in GeoAnalytics Server that can detect dwell locations when called from Pro or Map Viewer.

0 Kudos
JasonCyphers

Check me on this...

If walking points are collected every 5 meters, and speed is reported in meters per second:

• If I create an indicator widget filtering only walking activities (36 features), 
  • Count the number of features (36), with a value conversion factor of 5, (to obtain the total meters walked, since every point represents 5 meters walked), resulting in a value of 180 meters walked,
  • Add a reference statistic of the average walking speed (0.2 meters per second) with a reference conversion factor of 60 (to convert meters per second to meters per minute, resulting in 12.475),
  • Then display the ratio (180 meters divided by 12.475 meters per minute) to get the total amount of time spent walking (14.4 minutes).

Is that right?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeah I think the math checks out for that. I'd be curious to see how accurate it ends up being.

0 Kudos
JasonCyphers

Won't be 100% accurate, since I'm using average speed, but hopefully will be close enough for rough estimates.

Only thing I won't be able to report on is time spent being stationary (standing still performing an inspection on a meter), since there is no speed and nothing in the FAQ that specifies how often points are collected when stationary.

0 Kudos