Why can't I make the data from Survey123 private?

Jump to solution
07-17-2019 12:59 PM
DerekKonofalski
Occasional Contributor

I've created a few surveys in Survey123 and set the settings as follows:

Submitter:
- Share this survey: Ask the user how to open
- Who can submit to this survey? Everyone (Public)
- What can submitters do? Only add new records
- Multiple Submissions: Allow multiple Submissions
- Survey status: Open: Accepting responses

Viewer:
- Who can view the results of this survey? Members of my organization, Following groups: Data Collection
- What data can viewers see? All records in this survey

The thought process was that we would be able to have people fill out the form and that our organization could review the entries internally. Eventually, we may have info that's private or confidential so it's important that the data collected is not shown to the public until we're able to verify it and remove anything that might be inappropriate.

Unfortunately, no matter how many times I create a survey and mess with the settings, there's always a data set (listed under Content) that includes all of the results that's shared with everyone. At this point, I'm stumped because I've been told multiple times that we should be able to have a public form whose results are only viewable by our organization and the settings avaialble seem to suggest the same.

How can I do this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KassandraRodriguez
Occasional Contributor

Your feature layer of the form needs to look like the one pictured below:

This is the link on Public Surveys and to make data private. Unfortunately, there is a bug that won't allow the creator of the form to see the results in the Survey123 website. BUT the members of the organization can see the data.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
KassandraRodriguez
Occasional Contributor

Your feature layer of the form needs to look like the one pictured below:

This is the link on Public Surveys and to make data private. Unfortunately, there is a bug that won't allow the creator of the form to see the results in the Survey123 website. BUT the members of the organization can see the data.

DerekKonofalski
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply Kassandra! Which feature layer do I need to set that for: the form itself? When I create a form, I'm getting 3 feature layers created - one with just the name, name_stakeholder, and name_fieldworker.

0 Kudos
KassandraRodriguez
Occasional Contributor

It would be the one with just the name, you will see it has the globe meaning its shared with everyone but with the settings configured to hide the data.

0 Kudos
DerekKonofalski
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  The only one that shows the globe icon for me, besides the form itself, is the _fieldworker:

List of Survey items

0 Kudos
KassandraRodriguez
Occasional Contributor

Your fieldworker should be shared with just the organization and the Test Survey Feature Layer(hosted)  should be Shared: Everyone. That bottom one in your image is the one that should have the settings described earlier. You can change the Sharing settings by clicking on the Lock/Globe/Building icon. Hope this makes sense let me know otherwise

0 Kudos
DerekKonofalski
Occasional Contributor

What you're saying makes sense. What doesn't make sense is that these are the default permissions set up by Survey123 using the settings mentioned above. Should the fieldworker be public or not if I'm collecting public data but need views to be private.

Based on the article you sent, I changed those view settings for the _fieldworker and am unable to view the data in the fieldworker from an outside account. Since the others aren't public, I can't access that data anyways. That seems like it fixes my issue but what you're saying doesn't line up with that.

Thanks again for the help. Just trying to get clarity.

0 Kudos
KassandraRodriguez
Occasional Contributor

Oh I'm sorry I didn't even realize S123 creates a fieldworker view I thought you came up with that view. It seems to not create one through Connect? This kinda explains the difference between them and privacy and I get what your saying it is a bit confusing. Glad it helped

0 Kudos