Use Table-List With Different Choices / Placeholders?

Jump to solution
08-09-2022 09:32 AM
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I'm doing some testing for our Health Department, to see if Survey123 can meet their needs for going digital with their Food Inspections program.

As part of their inspections, there are multiple series of questions organized in groups. Within a single series, the paper form is laid out much like the table-list appearance type. However, not all the questions within the series can have all the options, but the remaining options will be the same.

Is there any way to accomplish a compact form like a table list in which users see the available choices in the same positions, but in which the choices available can change? Simply using two or more choice lists in S123 causes errors. Here's a mock-up:

What I'd like to getWhat I'd like to get

I've tried using choice filters, which do effectively limit the choices available, but the positions are not held.

The closest I can actually comeThe closest I can actually come

Am I just out of luck here?

Edit to add:

I have considered rearranging the questions into sub-groups, such that all questions with the choice combinations are in groups together, but this won't work. The order of questions on the inspection form was very deliberately chosen, so I can't change them like that. I need them to show up in the proper order, and have been asked to align the choices into the same columns regardless of what choices are available on a given question.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LaurenceTait
Occasional Contributor II

You can't do it with a table list, but you can mimic the effect by placing your questions in a grid and hiding the appropriate responses.

LaurenceTait_1-1660186194655.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LaurenceTait

You can't do it with a table list, but you can mimic the effect by placing your questions in a grid and hiding the appropriate responses.

LaurenceTait_1-1660186194655.png

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

That is clever. I should be able to get a lot closer to the paper form's look and feel with this. Thanks for sharing the xls form!

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Just to follow up, I wanted to let you know that this is definitely going to work for us. Coalescing the choices into a single field for each question is tedious to set up, but only has to happen once. The field crews, however, will see something familiar and orderly.

Thank you again!

jcarlson_0-1660230790288.png

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
LaurenceTait

You're right, selecting which answers to hide and then turning all those fields into a single response per "question" is slow, but as you say, it only needs to be done once.

Thanks for the follow up. Nice to know I'm helping.

0 Kudos