Survey123 Setup Wizard not working

Jump to solution
10-16-2019 10:10 AM
LeighJeudevine
New Contributor

When trying to install Survey123 3.6, the setup wizard freezes as soon as it launches.  It does this for both the Connect and Field App downloads from the resources page.  It requires the task manager to close the frozen screen. My desktop is 64 bit with Windows 10 Enterprise operating system.  I've tried uninstalling the prior versions before starting the setup, as well.  Has anyone else had this problem?  screenshot

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Leigh,

What is the exact version of Windows 10? Please check the About screen in Settings -> System.

If possible please make sure you are using the latest version of Windows and also ensure your graphics drviers are updated to the latest available for your graphics card. We have seen with many Windows systems that when the graphics drivers are out-dated there are issues with Connect and the app not displaying correctly (missing buttons and UI elements).

Phil.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @DerrickStark,

Is your user home folder mapped to a network drive or other location where desktop shortcuts are not actually stored locally but on remote server, or you do not have permission to create desktp shortcuts? It sounds like your issue could be related to the following issue we have fixed in the 3.13 release:

ENH-000140833 - Silent Installation fails if an error occurs when making the desktop shortcut links.

From your screenshot it looks like the installer is failing when it tries to create the desktop shortcut. This issue has been fixed in 3.13, you can test out the current RC builds available on the Early Adopter Community, and 3.13 will be released later this week.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
DerrickStark
New Contributor II

Hi @Anonymous User , 

I tried the default path as well as changing the path which neither worked. I did not copy it down; however, I did get it to work by downloading it from the Microsoft Store which was a lot easier and I was able to open it also. 

Thank you for your help.

Derrick

14 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Leigh,

What is the exact version of Windows 10? Please check the About screen in Settings -> System.

If possible please make sure you are using the latest version of Windows and also ensure your graphics drviers are updated to the latest available for your graphics card. We have seen with many Windows systems that when the graphics drivers are out-dated there are issues with Connect and the app not displaying correctly (missing buttons and UI elements).

Phil.

0 Kudos
DerrickStark
New Contributor II

My colleague and I having the same issue. When trying to install Survey123 Field App 3.12.277 the setup starts "Not Responding" on the Start Menu shortcuts screen. I am on Windows 10 Enterprise 6/28/21, OS Build 19043.1165. My graphics card, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000 has a driver date of 7/7/21 and version 27.21.14.6298. I was able to install Survey123 Connect without issues. I made sure the computer was up-to-date through Dell SupportAssist and Windows Update. In order to close the setup I have to use Task Manager to end the task.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @DerrickStark,

Is your user home folder mapped to a network drive or other location where desktop shortcuts are not actually stored locally but on remote server, or you do not have permission to create desktp shortcuts? It sounds like your issue could be related to the following issue we have fixed in the 3.13 release:

ENH-000140833 - Silent Installation fails if an error occurs when making the desktop shortcut links.

From your screenshot it looks like the installer is failing when it tries to create the desktop shortcut. This issue has been fixed in 3.13, you can test out the current RC builds available on the Early Adopter Community, and 3.13 will be released later this week.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
DerrickStark
New Contributor II

Hi Phil,

I am installing this on my laptop on C:\, not a network drive. I also tried installing using my admin rights and it still fails at the same location. I tried installing 3.13.229 and am still having this issue. 

Thanks,

Derrick

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @DerrickStark,

Are you installing to the default install path, or selecting a new path? If so what is the full path?

Do you have any other versions installed to different locations? Have you tried installing from the Microsoft Store instead of using the .exe builds?

And have you logged an issue with Esri Support yet, as this may require more troubleshooting, system logs, screenshares and gathering more detailed information to really understand what is going on?

Phil.

0 Kudos
DerrickStark
New Contributor II

Hi @Anonymous User , 

I tried the default path as well as changing the path which neither worked. I did not copy it down; however, I did get it to work by downloading it from the Microsoft Store which was a lot easier and I was able to open it also. 

Thank you for your help.

Derrick

FieldUser1One
New Contributor III

Hi, this is currently happening to me as well on my company lap-top.  It's new, and was working well a day ago.  All drivers, graphics cards are the latest. 

FieldUser1One_0-1626820034532.png

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @FieldUser1One,

What version of Windows are you using (can you check exact build number in System setting -> About page). 

Did you laptop recently do Windows updates or some other driver updates?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
FieldUser1One
New Contributor III

The editor began working after install the following day.  There was no change to my computer. I have no reason for why it started working.