Survey123 search-widget suggest show

Jump to solution
12-06-2021 12:51 PM
JaredPilbeam2
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi,

I'm working in Survey123 Connect and the end user will be filling the survey out using the web form. I don't necessarily have an error, but what I'm seeing I can't readily explain.

I have a CSV file that the XLSForm is pulling from to autocomplete contact info fields, which includes addresses. This contact info is in a group. Additionally, I do not have a map question included in the survey, so to get the coordinates I have a hidden geopoint field that gathers that info.

In the web form, when you select a business from the dropdown the contact info gets automatically filled out as it should, but then this suggestive text suddenly appears. I have no idea what's causing this. I used the FireFox dev tool to see what's behind this, and there is apparently a search-widget suggestion causing this. There is no need for this since I already have all the addresses I need in the CSV file. How do I stop this from happening?

dev.png

I've also attached my XLSForm. Thanks for any help!

Edit: I've also opened all the sub-files in my survey folder-- C:>users>me >ArcGIS>My Survey Designs>

Unless I'm missing something, the only reference to the word "search" was in the *.webform file. And I have no idea if that's related.

"id": "/Waste_Recycling_Report/intro/location1",
            "inputTools": [
              "pin",
              "search",
              "locate"
            ],

JaredPilbeam2_0-1638897992447.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BarbaraWebster1
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @JaredPilbeam2,

The "Looking for...?" prompt is occurring because the search text (the text that will be submitted for the address/geocode question) that is calculated doesn't exactly match any of the single line addresses returned from the geocode service, so it's asking if you would like to update the search text to the highest rated suggestion returned from the geocode service. In a manual entry scenario, the search text would be updated when the user selects a location from the dropdown list.

For example, for one of the company names in your survey, the search text that's calculated is "11 3rd St.", which isn't a 100% match with any location's address, so the prompt is asking you to confirm the location. If you changed the address in the CSV to "11 3RD AVE, JOLIET, IL, 60433", then you wouldn't get the prompt.

-Barbara

View solution in original post

7 Replies
BarbaraWebster1
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @JaredPilbeam2,

The "Looking for...?" prompt is occurring because the search text (the text that will be submitted for the address/geocode question) that is calculated doesn't exactly match any of the single line addresses returned from the geocode service, so it's asking if you would like to update the search text to the highest rated suggestion returned from the geocode service. In a manual entry scenario, the search text would be updated when the user selects a location from the dropdown list.

For example, for one of the company names in your survey, the search text that's calculated is "11 3rd St.", which isn't a 100% match with any location's address, so the prompt is asking you to confirm the location. If you changed the address in the CSV to "11 3RD AVE, JOLIET, IL, 60433", then you wouldn't get the prompt.

-Barbara

JaredPilbeam2
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi @BarbaraWebster1 ,

I suspected the geocoder. So, is my only option to change all the addresses the don't match what I'm assuming is the ArcGIS World Geocoding Service addresses? Or is there a way to change the geocoder? We have one we use in our maps and apps:

JaredPilbeam2_0-1638903753912.png

Edit: I've since found this tips and tricks doc that talks about geocoding. And our organization's geocoding utility service is already configured with a local geocoding service. The prompt suggestions, however, do not seem to honor the Will County service?

JaredPilbeam2_0-1638906246333.png

0 Kudos
BarbaraWebster1
Esri Regular Contributor

@JaredPilbeam2 By default the geocode question will use the geocode service(s) configured in your organization when you're signed in and the ArcGIS World Geocoding Service when not signed in.

You can configure a specific geocode service for the question (regardless of sign in state) by adding "geocode=<locator itemid>" in the bind::esri:parameters column. 

BarbaraWebster1_0-1638904282358.png

Hopefully that will work for you. If not another approach might be to show the calculated address in a note  or text question and use the body::esri:visible field to hide the geocode question unless the user indicates they want to update the default address.

-Barbara

ArmstKP
Occasional Contributor III

@BarbaraWebster1 It would be nice if you could add this in the geopoint question, so you could search in the map using your own organization's locator:

"geocode=<locator itemid>" in the bind::esri:parameters column.

UPDATE:  What I have suggested above works in the app, but not on the web form.

0 Kudos
BarbaraWebster1
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks @ArmstKP, we have this in our backlog. I'll add your request to the issue so we can take it into account during release planning. 

ArmstKP
Occasional Contributor III

@BarbaraWebster1 As of this morning, this seems to be working...

0 Kudos
BarbaraWebster1
Esri Regular Contributor

@ArmstKP Does this still work of you sign out and refresh the survey? I'm wondering if there might be custom locators set at the organization level since that's currently the only method for setting custom locators for geosearch listed in the Survey123 documentation

0 Kudos