Survey123 questions on whether it can be done or not.

10-06-2022 09:28 AM
JeffHyder
New Contributor III

I want to create a survey where a user submits the survey, at that point it is emailed to another user who answers questions that were not on the previous survey but at the same time showing the original responses from the first submission. After the second submission it is is emailed to a third user who answers questions that were not on the previous survey but at the same time showing the original responses from the first and second submissions. After the third submission it is is emailed to a fourth user who answers questions that were not on the previous survey but at the same time showing the original responses from the first, second, and third submissions.  After the fourth submission it is is emailed to a fifth user who answers questions that were not on the previous survey but at the same time showing the original responses from the first, second, third, and fourth submissions.  After the fifth submission it is is emailed to a sixth user who answers questions that were not on the previous survey but at the same time showing the original responses from the first, second, third, fourth, and fifth submissions. After the sixth  and final submission it is is emailed to the first original user after it is gone through the entire process. So, at each submission new questions are added for the next survey. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MichelleWilliamsERM
Occasional Contributor III

Oh, I love this process; I'm doing it now.

Build out the whole process in the MAIN Survey123.

Then do smaller surveys linking to the hosted service with the portion you want that person to submit + the previous answers. (I'll call them 1st, 2nd, 3rd)

Let's say the 1st survey needs all the fields answered.

Then the 2nd survey has all the answers of the 1st as READ ONLY + the fields that person needs to answer.

The 3rd will have the answers from the 1st and 2nd as READ ONLY + the fields that person needs to answer.

Does that make sense? 

Once all of that is built, you can use webhooks to email the next person when something is triggered.

NOTE After PUBLISHING and linking the other surveys

--- when you edit the main survey things get tricky in the other survey

--- so, make the best MAIN survey you can, add a few extra hidden fields in case you need them down the road. Trust me, I broke many things before figuring this out.

I hope you found this helpful.

Reach out if you need more help. 

JeffHyder
New Contributor III

Thank you for the reply. I understand what you are saying. My next question is on the webhooks. How do I email the survey that John Smith from the first survey to Jane Smith to fill out the second portion? Some type of unique url? I am wondering how those responses from prior submissions are prefilled into the new survey that is going to the next contributor.

0 Kudos
MichelleWilliamsERM

I'd add a field where the next person's email goes so that the webhook can send an email to the email in that field. I recommend a select_one field, so the email is correct every time.

Please note that I have a team member build my webhooks, so in my head, that's how it would work. 

0 Kudos
JeffHyder
New Contributor III

How do I get the answers from the first survey to populate into the second survey?

0 Kudos
MichelleWilliamsERM

I would build your survey with a repeat, so the answer can be built (copied / calculated) into the repeat.

Let me know if you need help.

You can find me here; Michelle (Monte) Williams | LinkedIn

JeffHyder
New Contributor III

I need more help than you could ever comprehend. LOL.

Here is my xlsform.

0 Kudos
JeffHyder
New Contributor III

I have a  webhook setup that generates after the initial submission. But I can not figure out how to append that to the new survey with additional questions for the next submitter.

At the end of the name they are numbered in the ordered step for the sections each will fill out.

0 Kudos