Survey123 publishing error, code: 500

Jump to solution
03-27-2018 02:25 PM
JustinO_Brien
New Contributor II

I'm getting an Error getting result parameter message when attempting to publish new surveys to Portal. I can modify surveys that have already been published, but not create new ones. A folder is created as normal, but the form is absent and the feature layer is corrupt. We just upgraded ArcServer and Portal 10.6. Any insights as to what may be causing the issue would be very helpful, thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RyanUthoff
Occasional Contributor III

Just to update everyone (and to anyone else who might be experiencing this), we have a resolution to this issue. I contacted ESRI technical support and all I had to do was stop and start the PublishingToolsEx geoprocessing service through the ArcGIS Server Admin endpoint. 

In my troubleshooting before contacting support or posting on geonet, I restarted the PublishingTools service through server manager, but didn't realize there was another service that is only found through the ArcGIS Server Admin endpoint and not through server manager.

View solution in original post

31 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Justin,

Do your surveys have either questions of type 'start' or 'end'?  There is a bug in 10.6 Portal with regards to time settings, which are set when those questions are present.  If possible, can you try using the 2.7 beta from the Early Adopter Community- it should be addressed in the next version (or wait a few days, as release will occur shortly).

0 Kudos
JustinO_Brien
New Contributor II

Hello James,

I just tried to submit a default template form that only contains one text question and got the same error, no time fields were present in the form. We just looked over our permission settings for my account and turned on every option that looked relevant for content creation.

I'll give the beta version a shot, thank you.

0 Kudos
JustinO_Brien
New Contributor II

No luck with the 2.7.13 beta.

0 Kudos
RyanUthoff

After looking in the ArcGIS Server logs, Justin and I get this error message: Instance of the service 'System/PublishingToolsEx.GPServer' crashed. 

The only thing that has changed is we upgraded to 10.6 over the weekend. I can't publish a simple survey with only one question.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the additional information.  Can you attempt to publish a zipped shape file or fGDB into a service?

0 Kudos
JustinO_Brien
New Contributor II

We were able to publish a hosted feature layer from a FGDB that was uploaded to Portal.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Interesting...  Can I ask you to capture a log file of the publishing process from Survey123?  During the publishing process, Connect interacts with the publisher in a couple of places.  The log file can be captured by clicking on hte gear button on the initial screen, selecting diagnostics and turning on logging (ignore the 'loading' image - it's representing the availability of interactive consoles).

0 Kudos
RyanUthoff

Thank you! Is there a way we can send the log file directly to you? I don't necessarily want to post the log publicly. 

I also have the Crash Dump File the ArcGIS Server created from the GP tool when publishing the survey if you need that.

0 Kudos
RyanUthoff

Just to update everyone (and to anyone else who might be experiencing this), we have a resolution to this issue. I contacted ESRI technical support and all I had to do was stop and start the PublishingToolsEx geoprocessing service through the ArcGIS Server Admin endpoint. 

In my troubleshooting before contacting support or posting on geonet, I restarted the PublishingTools service through server manager, but didn't realize there was another service that is only found through the ArcGIS Server Admin endpoint and not through server manager.