Survey123: Naming Photos with GlobalID?

Jump to solution
02-06-2023 02:38 PM
shagggypanda
New Contributor II

Hello world, 

My name is Avery. I work with environmental surveys and would appreciate help cataloging my Survey123 media using a GlobalID. I do know that is is possible to name media files in Survey123 according to other fields but in my use case the gov't requires naming media with GlobalID. 

It doesn't even seem possible to generate a field for global ID (text) which would populate with the created GlobalID when a new survey record is created. 

Would love some help with a solution which doesn't require manual naming post facto. (there are thousands of files)

Cheers, 

Avery

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

A globalid is not generated until the data is posted to the service so I am pretty sure this is not possible.  You would need to do it on an export.  

I have ran into all kinds of issues have {} in file names though.  Mostly in HTML and such later but it is not a great plan IMO.  I at least strip those out.  Also if you ever export the data this plan falls apart.

Good luck

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

A globalid is not generated until the data is posted to the service so I am pretty sure this is not possible.  You would need to do it on an export.  

I have ran into all kinds of issues have {} in file names though.  Mostly in HTML and such later but it is not a great plan IMO.  I at least strip those out.  Also if you ever export the data this plan falls apart.

Good luck

0 Kudos
shagggypanda
New Contributor II

Doug, 

Would not be my first choice either. I'll try to sell the higherups on a unique ID instead. 

Cheers, thanks confirming my doubts.

-Avery

ClayDonaldsonSWCA
Occasional Contributor II

I would suggest looking through the Customize file names documentation.

You could use the UUID in the form function to generate a unique one though. That would be similar to using the globalid.

uuid()

Returns a random UUID string.

uuid()