Survey123 Inbox timeout

Jump to solution
09-06-2021 09:49 AM
OlivierDemars1
New Contributor III

When refreshing my inbox, I get a timeout like this:

OlivierDemars1_0-1630946680082.png

When checking the query failing, it is a /FeatureServer/0/queryRelatedRecord. But the query is processed correctly on the server:

<Msg time='2021-09-06T09:40:27,869' type='FINE' code='100004' target='' methodName='layers/0/queryRelatedRecords' machine='172.31.26.181' process='53320' thread='63568' user='' elapsed='35.13975' requestId='297b656b-a055-4c06-a890-8ed23780a995'>REST request successfully processed. Response size is 4037563 characters.</Msg>

The timeout occurs at exactly 30s on Survey123. As you can see above the request took 35s to be processed on the server. When I reduce the size of the query and it is processed under 30s on my server, the Inbox refreshes properly.

So there is a 30s timeout somewhere. Is this something hard coded in Survey123?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @OlivierDemars1 ,

The 504 error is what the Survey123 field app received from the endpoint it contacted.  If the request successfully completed on the server, I would think that the issue might be with the web adapter or any other application (load balancer) that exists between the server and the field app in the network connection.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
GIS_Fox
Occasional Contributor III

This has been a recent bug I've encountered a bunch. There is an update pending for September 16th, 2021 which may offer some insight for anticipated changelogs. Best bet is to check there and Survey123 documentation. Great question!

Cheers,

Jansen Lyons - Records and GIS Section - Public Works - City of Rio Rancho, NM
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Olivier,

Can you provide more information about the setup? ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise?

How is the form set up? How many repeats are you bringing down? Can you provide the XLSForm?

There are 30 second timeout limits on some aspects of ArcGIS Online that could impact massive Survey123 requests. If this is what you are seeing, the solution could be revisiting the XLSForm design or reducing the number of records through Inbox filters.

@GIS_Fox Not aware of any defects on this and looking at the What's coming blog I can't see any references to timeout issues. Do you have a defect reference?

Cheers,

Chris (Esri Australia Technical Support) 

OlivierDemars1
New Contributor III

Hi @Anonymous User ,

The issue is on ArcGIS Enterprise (10.7.1).

The structure of the form is simple, just one repeat but there are a lot of fields (300 in the main part, 200 in the repeat).

By tweaking the "Maximum Number of Records Returned by Server"of the feature service, I can bring down the server response time below 30s and I get the records in the Inbox (which is why I think the timeout is set up in Survey123 itself). Unfortunately, this is not compatible with our workflow.

Cheers,

Olivier

GIS_Fox
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @Anonymous User & @OlivierDemars1 ,

Sure thing, the items I am referencing are going to be below. Personally I've seen lots of device issues come up in the past month and Integromat Tech support sending me a message saying they've had time-out issues between their routers and Survey123 as well. Hope this helps, it looks like a few of the items I've seen have either gone to tech support tickets hopefully or have been resolved.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/quot-this-page-isn-t-responding-quot/m-p/1090978#M36646 

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/error-when-sending-survey-from-cell-phone/m-p/1091292#M36662 

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/survey123-crashing/m-p/1093206#M36770 

Jansen Lyons - Records and GIS Section - Public Works - City of Rio Rancho, NM
0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @OlivierDemars1 ,

The 504 error is what the Survey123 field app received from the endpoint it contacted.  If the request successfully completed on the server, I would think that the issue might be with the web adapter or any other application (load balancer) that exists between the server and the field app in the network connection.

OlivierDemars1
New Contributor III

Thanks @JamesTedrick that was it. There was a timeout configured in the firewall of our hosting environment.

Cheers

0 Kudos