Survey 123 | Error Code 0 | Unable to send completed survey

07-20-2017 07:14 AM
RyanHefley
New Contributor III

Survey123_ErrorCode_0

When trying to send a survey after completion, I get an error message saying "This survey was not able to be sent due to the following error: Code 0

We are running on ArcGIS Portal here at Arkansas Electric Cooperatives. We have this going through a hosting server. Any ideas on what could be the problem?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ryan,

The error code you see is very generic.  Has this form successfully sent survey information before, on this or another device?  The wifi network the iPad is connected to is on the same network as the Portal?

A couple of things to test:

1) Can you open the Portal's home page in a browser on the iPad? From there, can you get to the item details page for the survey's feature service and access it's Service Url? (testing the network connection of the iPad)

2) Can you add points to your survey's feature class via the Portal's map viewer? (testing the operation of the feature service)

It would also be helpful of you could capture a log while attempting to submit data.  See instructions at Troubleshoot—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS  (do not wait for a console to appear, just click on the switch to start logging).  After the submission attempt, the log file can be extracted by:

1) Connect the iPad to a computer with iTunes

2) Open iTunes, once available, click on the iPad button to go to it's configuration

3) In the left side pane, click on 'Apps'

4) in the main window, scroll down past the first list of apps to the second list, which is to show files that can be transferred back & forth.

5) Select Survey123 on the list, and then select the 'ArcGIS' folder

6) At the bottom of the file transfer list is a 'Save to...' button to copy out the data from the iPad.  

7) The log file will be in the 'ArcGIS\AppStudio\Logs' directory.

0 Kudos
RyanHefley
New Contributor III

I am not sure how to link you the log file for this. So basically this used to work. Until we got a hosting server as well as an external portal (meaning our organization can access the portal content without being logged on to enterprise internet). I cannot connect to where our main internal portal is. I can only connect to outside portal. Which is strange. Also, I just noticed that on my phone connected to LTE, and I connect to the portal and survey and answer the questions and submit, it doesn't work. However, when I switch to wifi after it fails to send over cellular, and try again it works. It is strange why it it works on the same wifi on my phone and not the iPad. Also, I can't connect to the portal on my phone over wifi in the beginning to set up a portal. Is there a way we can talk on the phone or something? 

Ryan

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Ryan,

I agree that this is very detailed and requires further conversation- expect an e-mail from me in a short while.

0 Kudos
AdamDaily
Occasional Contributor II

Is there a solution to this Code 0 issue on iphone devices. Running Iphone 6S the surveys are not able to be submitted when completed. I get the same error shown in the beginning of this post. 

We also just bought and distributed a large number of Samsung Galaxy J7s for our field crews who we would like to use survey123. When testing on these devices and  submitting a completed survey the app crashes completely. It shuts itself off and we get an error msg saying "Unfortunately Survey123 has stopped". Any ideas?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Adam,

In Ryan's situation, there were some issues particular to how the network & ArcGIS Enterprise were set up. 

Are you using a MDM or VPN solution with the iPhones and/or the Galaxy J7s?  It sounds like something is going on with connecting to the service.

0 Kudos
RyanHefley
New Contributor III

Thank you for replying James

Yes, like James said, our problem was due to a configuration and/or network issue. We have a distributed ArcGIS Enterprise system comprised of 7 servers all doing different things. And I also believe we had a firewall blocking something. 

Also, another issue that we had either with this case or one shortly after was due to updates. Please make sure that you are updated to the latest version of Survey 123 Connect and also the iPhone and Android devices as well.

0 Kudos
AdamDaily
Occasional Contributor II

It sounds like the version of connect I use to create and publish from in desktop determines which versions of the app on end user devices are able to publish completed surveys.  I first tried to delete just the survey form from my surveys folder and then reload it, but that did not work. I actually had to delete survey off of the J7s and then reinstall the newest version of the app. That did work and I'm glad this was not a network issue, but this solution leads to other concerns. It took me some time testing devices and searching for answers to figure out this error. Our end users will not be aware of, have time for, or care to deal with these types of issues. They will simply see an app that does not work. 

My concern is I never saw any indication when opening the app or conducting a survey that my version was out of date. I can't ensure the app is being updated on all of our end user mobile devices. Everything from a user standpoint seemed to work up until trying to submit a completed survey. The error code 0 we are discussing does not mention the app version as a possible problem or recommend updates if available as a solution. I'm not sure the best way to avoid this problem from happening. Stop updating connect?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Adam,

Mobile app management normally occurs via the app store (in this case, Google Play).  While a new version of the field app is required to access new functionality (for example, editing repeat sections in 2.4), we try to not have backward compatibility-breaking changes- can you share the XLS file that caused the issue?

0 Kudos
RyanHefley
New Contributor III

I know at my company and our phones that are given to us, the IT Support Staff has a way to be able to "push" the update directly onto the phone without the user having to do anything. 

0 Kudos