pull data works on desktop but not online or in app

05-16-2022 03:09 PM
RachelCrownhart
New Contributor

Hello all, I have two survey's that use the pull data from csv file. both worked last year during my field season, and now neither will pull the data from the csv file online or on the survey 123 app. One survey gives the error: Error: Initializing form...

And the other gives the error: 

Error: Initializing form...

• FormLogicError: Could not evaluate: /model/instance[@id="updatedspecies"]/root/item[Latin = '']/SP Code, message: The expression is not a legal expression. (line: undefined, character: undefined)

Both of these surveys work on my desktop Survey 123 program, but when I publish them to the web neither will pull data. I have updated the cvs file. I have even opened a new survey on my desktop, copied and pasted the excel doc, updated the cvs, saved it as a new survey and still it doesn't not work online. Any suggestions? I am out of ideas. and very frustrated.  Thanks so much!  ~Rachel 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

My guess would be the space in the column name SP Code.  I do not think the backend SQL Lite DB can handle that.  Or maybe the special char in these hairy four o'clock.   Next line 757 in the csv is missing the first column value.

Is there a reason you have the species list in choices and also a csv with the species in it?  Why not just use the csv for both.  Will be easier to keep up to date.  For my forms I do the label as CODE  common name  scientific name (4 spaces in between) so that the crew can search on any of the 3.

Also on a side note I run a national wetland program and we have 15 diff forms we share.  If interested pm me.

Hope that gets it.

0 Kudos
RachelCrownhart
New Contributor

Hi Doug, (go pack!) I fixed the SP Code space, and I filled in the 757 missing column and deleted the special symbol in o clock, still getting the same error message: (see bottom of message)   

Is there a reason you have the species list in choices and also a csv with the species in it?  Why not just use the csv for both.  Will be easier to keep up to date.  

I'm not sure what you mean by this statement but if there is a simpler way of doing it I'm all ears. 

Error: Initializing form...

•  
  • FormLogicError: Could not evaluate: /model/instance[@id="updatedspecies"]/root/item[Latin = '']/SP Code, message: The expression is not a legal expression. (line: undefined, character: undefined)
0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

When I paste this error into notepad there is still a space there in SP Code.  Are you changing the correct file in the media folder?  

You can use things like select from file and search appearance to just read the csv directly.  Look those up.

Hope that helps

0 Kudos