Multiple GeoPoints in Survey123?

12-17-2018 09:21 AM
HannahHutchins1
New Contributor II

I'm working in Survey123 and it looks like I am only allowed to have one GeoPoint associated with each survey:

Does anyone know if there is a way to have multiple GeoPoints with each survey? 

Or does anyone have any suggestions on a work around? Maybe using Collector App?

I'd like to ask about multiple historic sites in the community along with asking where the respondent is from.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Hannah,

The limitation of one point (geometry) per table is a system limitation of ArcGIS and affects all applications.  You can create a survey with multiple points using Survey123 Connect:

- Survey123 Connect supports creating repeats, which store data in a related table; the related table can store an additional geometry.  See Repeats—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS for more information

- You can include geopoint questions in a form that do not submit their geometry (using the keyword null in the bind::esri:fieldType column) and have additional questions store the latitude and longitude; see The Power of Nothing for additional information and a sample.

In your situation, it sounds like the repeat method would be best - you could ask a set of questions and the location for each historic property.

HannahHutchins1
New Contributor II

Awesome! Thanks James

0 Kudos
EmelineRenz
New Contributor III

I think there may be a problem with this in the new Survey123. Here's my workflow for repro:

1. Create a basic survey on the website. Easy to drag drop and get started before adding all the fun stuff. Publish. 

2. Open Survey123 Connect and download and open the Web Survey. 

3. Try entering null into the bind::esri:fieldtype box. ERROR. 

It looks like validation is looking for esri fieldtypes on the same worksheet ('=$A$155:$A$162') and not on the types sheet or maybe it's supposed to be somewhere else. 

In the Constraints Sample, the data validation is pointing to '=types!$A$141:$A$149', which has all the field types. 

Just to be sure, I checked another survey that I created online when I was having trouble with the GRID syntax (still am, honestly...), and that also had the data validation referencing the current (survey) worksheet and not the types worksheet. 

So, long story short: the XLS created from an Online Survey does not have the right bind::esri:fieldType Data Validation reference. I'll submit through support but just in case anyone else runs into this problem. 

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Emeline,

Thank you for raising this.  It does appear the data validation in the template created by the web designer is misconfigured.  You can either ignore the error or disable data validation for now.

0 Kudos
EmelineRenz
New Contributor III

I just modified the data validation and added 'types!' after the =. Also reported to support, so you should see something soon as they could repro. 

Always happy to help!

ER

0 Kudos