Multiple Geopoint issues

08-31-2017 04:48 PM
ChristinaDemetrio
New Contributor

Is there a way to have Survey123 not collect a geopoint if it is not needed? I created a survey that has a repeat which needs to take a geopoint if a rare species is found. If it is not found I do not need a geopoint. However, it seems that Survey123 is collecting a geopoint every time whether I find something or not.

Similarly, I have another survey that might require a radius search or a transect search. I have an initial geopoint for either the center of a radius search or the start of a transect search. Then there is a second geopoint in a repeat to take the end of the transect. However, the second geopoint appears to be being collected for the radius search as well, when it is not needed.

Is there anything I can do to work around this?

Thanks

Christina

0 Kudos
4 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. Interesting use case. I have not personally tried this, but I think you could try using the technique described in this blog post https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2016/06/08/calculations-on-geopoints to set your geopoint to 0,0 when a particular condition is met (when a geopoint question is NOT needed).

0 Kudos
ChristinaDemetrio
New Contributor

Thanks for your response Ismael. Is there a way for the data to not be collected at all? It just makes it confusing for later analysis to have a bunch of 0,0 geopoints in the attribute table of the geodatabase to have to sort out.

Thanks for your help!

Christina

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Christina,

Unfortunately, submitting a mixture of points and null (non-submitted) points can cause problems with other (primarily mapping) applications that read the dataset, hence the need to record a 0,0 point.

0 Kudos
ChristinaDemetrio
New Contributor

Hi James,

Ok thanks. I just wanted to check to see if there was something available. Thanks very much for your help!

Christina

0 Kudos