Location data not recorded

Jump to solution
08-29-2022 05:37 AM
gls
by
New Contributor II

A colleague is having issues with location data in Survey123. It is a survey template (created in Survey123 Connect) that he has been using for c. six months with no issues. We have not made any changes to the survey template since he started using it. Last week, he reported that the location data boxes are blank and location data is not automatically recorded by Survey123. When I look at his data online, I can see that no location data has been recorded for the last few days.

He is using the Survey123 field app on a Samsung Galaxy Tab Active3. The location services are activated. When he clicks on the satellite icon in Survey123 he can see that it is picking up his location. He loaded the same survey onto a second device (same make and model). It worked for a few days but now he is having the same issue.

I am in the UK (he is not). I can see the same survey form on my Iphone 12 and there seems to be no problem with it. The location boxes have data in them and I can see the location has recorded when I check the data online. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing the issue?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @gls @AshleeWolf525 @KelseyMartin @JohnMarino,

Just wanted to let you know with the upcoming 3.16 October Release of Survey123 we have resolved the issue with some Android devices not getting a valid location causing the geopoint to not be updated correctly. You can test out the latest 3.16 beta builds via the Early Adopter Community to get early access to these builds.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @gls

Is your colleague submitting surveys using the Survey123 field app or the web app in a browser on the device? Since you mentioned the satellite icon it sounds like they may be using the field app. 

One troubleshooting suggestion would be to enable diagnostic logging in the app on a device that the behavior is occurring on and submitting a record. We may be able to see why the behavior is happening through the diagnostic log. 

We can take this offline but if you're willing to share the survey I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 2 I can test to see if I can reproduce the issue on and do some debugging. Feel free to email ZSutherby@esri.com

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos
gls
by
New Contributor II

Hi Zach

Thanks very much for your reply. I will send further details via email.

Gail

0 Kudos
AnneDunckel
New Contributor III

Hi!  I just want to add that I have been having this issue on both Active Tab2 and Tab3 android devices. Works fine when connected to wifi, but not when offline in the woods.

0 Kudos
KelseyMartin
New Contributor

I'm also having the same issue with Samsung Active Tab 2 devices. It works when connected to wifi, but not when offline. 

0 Kudos
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @AnneDunckel @KelseyMartin

If you test switching the following setting do you see the location come through on your devices? 

• Navigate to Settings
  • Select the gear icon for the integrated provider
  • Information
  • Press and hold on the word “Information” on the title bar
  • That will open a “Location provider type” toggle
  • Enable the option to “Use Google Play Location API” for the location provider type

Thank you,
Zach
AnneDunckel
New Contributor III

Yes, this worked. Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
JohnMarino
New Contributor III

Thanks @ZacharySutherby – we were experiencing a very similar issue (also with Samsung TabActive3 devices) and this appears to have resolved it.

Out of curiosity, is this some sort of limitation with TabActive3 devices, or is it a bug that will be resolved in a future update of Survey123?

0 Kudos
KelseyMartin
New Contributor

Yep, that worked! Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
akirka
by
New Contributor

Thank you!!!

0 Kudos