Created a survey in Survey123 Web, survey appears blank in Survey 123 app

Jump to solution
07-13-2016 08:43 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I created a very basic test survey using Survey123 Web.  I can see and download the survey in the Survey 123 app (Windows & Android), however, when I click on the "Collect" button I am presented with a blank screen.

Clipboard01.png

Same behavior in Windows app as in Android app.  I must be missing something?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Matt,

Out of curiosity, have you tried making a different form? Or have other forms worked for you? (I'm wondering if this is the only one or if every form has the same behavior).

View solution in original post

9 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Matt,

Out of curiosity, have you tried making a different form? Or have other forms worked for you? (I'm wondering if this is the only one or if every form has the same behavior).

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, if at first you don't succeed...

My first survey included an ampersand "&" in the title. I made another survey without an ampersand in the title and it worked just fine. As a test, I made a third survey with an ampersand in the title and I got the same behavior as the first (blank).

This was just bad practice on my part. It is probably noted in the documentation not to use ampersands or special characters.

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Matt,

I am glad to know that you found the root cause of this issue. Ampersands causing problems again! Maybe Survey123 for ArcGIS​ should not allow the user/creator to enter in ampersands...

0 Kudos
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Matt, Adrian

Thanks for the feedback and help on discovering this.

This should be a bug when converting a survey created in the website into a survey can be recognized by the native app. We'll fix this bug in the next release, which is planned in mid-September.

Before the fix, if you like, there's two workarounds:

• Create a new survey in the website, and remove the "&" or other special characters in the survey title
  • Find the indeed .xml file used by the native app on your device (this does not apply to iOS device), and modify it's content, remove the "&" character in the <h:title> section:

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Zhifang,

I am glad to hear that this will be fixed in the next release! Thanks for putting this into the queue!

0 Kudos
MichaelGilbrook2
New Contributor III

I am having a related problem with a new survey created using the web design tool on the Survey123 page at https://survey123.arcgis.com/surveys  I created a simple survey and shared it to my Organization. Users who clicked on the link entered their ArcGIS Online credentials, but when they were passed to the survey it never loads, they are presented with a blank screen. We have tried the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Different Browsers - We have tried opening the URL for the survey in IE, Chrome and Edge. They all show the same behavior (blank screen).
  2. Different Devices - We have tried the URL on Windows laptops, Android smartphones and tablets and gotten the same result.
  3. Sharing to Everyone - We changed the sharing from Organization to Everyone and tried the above steps and got the same results.

Note that our survey does not have any unusual characters in it, just letters and numbers (e.g., "ConferenceName 2017"). Anyone have any suggestions before I log this with Esri Technical Support? Thanks!

Michael

0 Kudos
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Michael, 

Appologize for the inconvenience. 

Have you made the survey work normally now? Such as by clearing your browser cache and using the latest https://survey123.arcgis.com? 

Is that possible to share the survey to Everyone then post the survey URL here? So that we can investigate if there's something wrong with the particualr survey.

0 Kudos
MichaelGilbrook2
New Contributor III

Hello, Zhifang. Sorry for the belated reply. It turned out to be dreaded User Error, my workflow to publish the survey was taking a couple of things in the wrong order. Tech Support straightened me out. 

Michael

0 Kudos
DaveChristianson
New Contributor

I am having the same issue. The first screen shown in the survey is blank (for a survey completed in Web Designer).  The blank screen appears on Android, IOS, and browsers.  Making a copy of the survey and publishing does not fix it.   

0 Kudos