Browser crashed when editing data in Survey123 Website

Jump to solution
08-24-2020 08:15 AM
Ramon_de_Leon
Occasional Contributor

Does others experiencing the same issues?

Everytime I try to edit a survey record in the Survey123 website (using the sidepanel edit window), the browser stops responding.

Is this an issue if you have been passing data from Collector to the survey and also pulling data from an external CSV file?

I can edit data by directly double-clicking the cells on the table, but when I try to do the edit through the side panel to have a more form-like feel and possibly edit picture attachments, the form fails to load and browser stops responding.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ramon,

Yes, that link is correct for the online documentation. You can also check out this great blog post: https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2017/09/25/working-with-existing-feature-services-i....

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ramon,

What browser are you seeing this issue with? Have you tried another browser, such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox etc. Do they all crash or just one?

Also, was the survey published with Survey123 Connect, if so which version and have you updated recently to ensure using latest version 3.10 or disable version locking so that latest web app is used.

Can you share a copy of the xlsx form file and the pulldata csv file and any other media files used in the survey, so we can take a closer look and see what causes the crash.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
Ramon_de_Leon
Occasional Contributor

Hi Phil,

Its the same issue with different browsers.

The Survey was published with Survey123 Connect 3.10.

I can provide you a copy of the CSV and xlsx form if you can provide me an address. I'd rather not post it here as it has some customer information involved.

It is working well on the mobile app.

The issue seems to be on the pulldata part on the Survey123 website, there is error in initializing the form. When I close the the error message, I am able to edit the answers on the form-view. I'll try to clean further my CSV table and double-check if there are more commas on the values, I did assume that since it is working well on the mobile app that it should be working on the Survey123 website too. 

Are there any other invalid characters in addition to commas that I should not use on the CSV table to avoid issues on the Survey123 website?

Thank you.

- Ramon

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ramon,

I have sent you a private message with my email details so you can forward me your xlsx file and csv file.

As for using pulldata and errors with the webform, it is advised not to include any special characters in the csv, as these can break the loading of the form in some cases in web browsers. This includes in the name of columns as well as the data. While the same csv file may work as expected in the mobile app using pulldata, due to the different way that pulldata works in a web browser, these special characters can cause issues.

For more information see: Formulas—ArcGIS Survey123 | Documentation and https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2016/10/27/the-pulldata-function-access-external-da...  and https://community.esri.com/thread/256638-survey123-pulldata-not-working-fully .

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ramon,

Thanks for sharing your xslx form and csv file. I tested with the 3.10 web app and can see the following error on load:

When inspecting the csv file further, I see the file contains many quotations (“) as actual data and in some cases double quotations (“”), which are not representing a deliminators. It is standard practice for csv files to use quotations as representation of fields containing commas, therefore these are processed out of the data on load. I believe this could be related to the issue, as well as other single or double quotes, white space and/or special characters found in the file.

It may be a good idea to run your csv file through a csv validator such as https://csvlint.io/ to find any errors.

It is also important to note that your csv file has ~215,000 rows and is ~32mb, therefore the performance in both field and web app will be severely degraded and may cause unintended issues or crashes on devices with low memory.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
Ramon_de_Leon
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Phil, that CSV validator link is a great resource.

I did extra data cleaning: removed commas, ampersands, qoutes, double qoutes and stripped text in all columns. I was able to create a CSV that passed the validator test.

But am still having the same issues on the Survey123 web browser when editing the submitted data. Error message is still the same as the initial screenshot that I sent. So maybe its a performance issue on the web browser side due to the size of the CSV file (can't do anything about it since I already deleted all unnecessary columns on the table and will need all rows).

I was pleasantly surprised that the pulldata is really fast on the mobile app. I am using both passing information from Collector and pulldata from the 32 MB CSV, satisfied with the speed so far.

Another question, is there a way to disable the pulldata from CSV on the web browser side? Since, once the data is submitted from the field, the pulldata part is really not needed on the office backend, they only need to be able to edit/update the data and ability to edit the photo attachments (I know this could be done in different ways in AGOL, but based on user feedback in the organization, they like the form-view panel as an editing interface).

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ramon,

It sounds as if you have reached the limits of the web app in terms of the pulldata csv size, we have seen similar issues in the past with surveys that have very long lists not loading properly in a browser, mostly this affects IE11, but same issues can happen on other browsers too.

As for how to make your survey work in the web app if you don't need the pulldata csv question, it is not possible to disable that question within the same survey for web app only, but what you could do is create a second survey for using in web app. Create a new survey in Connect based on the existing feature service/layer of the original, and remove the questions from the xlsx form that you do not need. Publish the survey and then only share that survey with the users that use the web app, and only share the original survey with the users using the field app.

This is a workflow that we see many customers use to have initial data collection in the field, and then reviewers or approvers using the web app or field app to fill in additional questions or make edits, using two different surveys that point to the same data in the same feature service.

Regards,

Phil.

Ramon_de_Leon
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Phil, that sounds like a good workflow. Is this the steps needed to create another survey based on an existing feature layer:

Use Survey123 with existing feature layers—ArcGIS Survey123 | Documentation 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ramon,

Yes, that link is correct for the online documentation. You can also check out this great blog post: https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2017/09/25/working-with-existing-feature-services-i....

Regards,

Phil.

Ramon_de_Leon
Occasional Contributor

Finally able to try it, looks like this workaround will suffice our use-case. Thanks Phil.