Automatically Complete Geopoint In Web Browser

Jump to solution
08-07-2019 07:34 AM
AndrewSouthern
Occasional Contributor

Is there anyway for a survey to automatically complete a geopoint question when opened in a browser?  I have a brief survey that I am hoping to require as little input from the mobile device user as possible.  The accuracy of the geopoint isn't necessarily a big deal so much as capturing a general location (within 20-40ft roughly.)  As I understand it, for a geopoint question in a survey opened in a web browser the user has to manually set their location (and allow location to be accessed.)  Is there any way to prompt the user to allow location to be used when the survey is launched and automatically capture their location?

I have attempted the survey without a geopoint question and it defaults to 0,0.  

Any ideas?

The survey can be accessed here:

https://arcg.is/1OqTmW 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Andrew,

In the web designer, there is an option in the Geopoint question to prompt for a user's location by default.  Combining that with making the question required should prompt automatically.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JamesTedrick

Hi Andrew,

In the web designer, there is an option in the Geopoint question to prompt for a user's location by default.  Combining that with making the question required should prompt automatically.

AndrewSouthern
Occasional Contributor

James,

Thanks for your help.  Do you have any tips on improving accuracy of surveys collected via a web form?  Is there anything I can do in Survey123 Connect to better refine a location?  I am not looking to get anything very precise, roughly 30ft or so would be fine.  But what I have noticed is that location accuracy in the web form is much less accurate (sometimes several hundred ft or more from actual location) than the same survey in the app.  It makes sense since the app is continuously pulling location, but is there anything I can do to improve accuracy within a web form?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
AndrewSouthern
Occasional Contributor

After some testing, I noticed that if I capture location using the web form Survey123 it seems to cache that location and will use it again if the survey is reloaded within around 5-10 minutes.  So for instance, I completed a survey with relatively accurate location (around 10ft estimated horizontal accuracy) then walked two blocks and reloaded the survey on the same device and the location shown was the same location (and estimated horizontal accuracy) as the initial location captured.  If I restart the device and load the survey the location is once again accurate.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the feedback - the web form receives it's location from the browser, which in turn gets it from the device.  Cahcing behavior for location would be at the browser level.

0 Kudos
CPoynter
Occasional Contributor III

Hi James,

How would this be configured in Connect to set Geopoint as default location?

Regards,

Craig

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Craig,

There currently is not a way to specify automatic collection via Survey123 Connect for the web browser; it would be helpful if you could add to ArcGIS Ideas | GeoNet, The Esri Community | GIS and Geospatial Professional Community  to track interest in this.

0 Kudos
CPoynter
Occasional Contributor III

Hi James,

I have posted an ArcGIS Idea here.

Regards,

Craig

0 Kudos