Ensiheim Meteorite Strike Day Release (1.9)

11-07-2016 03:36 PM
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor
11 23 5,570

Around 11:30 A.M. on November 7, 1492, a young boy saw a large stone plummet from the sky and land in a wheat field near the town of Ensisheim in Alsace, France. This fall is the earliest one witnessed in the Western world from which meteorite samples have been preserved.

Our Survey123 for ArcGIS 1.9 release celebrates the luck of this boy, who was fortunate enough to see the meteorite close… but not too close.

As usual, to experience the best out of the newest release you will want to keep your Survey123 components up to date:

• The build number of Survey123 Connect for ArcGIS is now 1.9.24 and can be downloaded on Windows, Mac and Ubuntu Linux.
  • The latest Survey123 field app is now available in the app stores (Google Play, iTunes, Windows and Amazon) and its build number is 1.9.24 as well.
  • The Survey123 website is all up to date for you, but you will need to clear your browser cache before you can see all the goodies!.

Public Surveys:

Many of you have been awaiting this one for a long time, so we are particularly proud of announcing that as of Survey123 1.9 you can now share your surveys publicly!  This means people can submit data to your surveys without having to login with an ArcGIS account. This is ideal for crowd-sourcing and citizen science projects where you work with non-sensitive data and where understanding who is submitting what, is not critical.

This is our first cut at Public Surveys. We know we need to add some refinements, but we did not want to hold anything for you and get your feedback early. To learn about Public Surveys in more detail you can have a look at this blog post: https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2016/11/10/getting-started-with-public-surveys 

Enhancements to the Survey123 website:

The Survey123 website can be accessed via survey123.arcgis.com. Through the website, you can create your own surveys, manage who can access them and analyze contributions.  There are three key enhancements in this release of the Survey123 website:

• You can now share your surveys publicly (as described above)
  • Added support for e-mail type of questions.
  • Analyze and Data tabs now include a date range filter to more easily create reports and understand submitted data. This filter option is quite handy if you want to better understand data captured. Your date filters will also be honored  when you export your survey results in pdf format.
  • Easier sharing of surveys using direct links and QR codes

If you cannot see the above changes in the website make sure you clear your browser cache.

Survey123 field app, Support for Enterprise Logins:

This is the first release of the Survey123 field app that works against ArcGIS organizations setup with Enterprise logins. Support is limited to authentication via SAML providers. Windows Integrated Authentication and PKI authentication are not supported.

If you want to use Windows Active Directory credentials to login into Survey123, you will need to configure your ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS to use Enterprise Logins through an ADFS SAML as described in this topic.

Survey123 field app, better support for Leica and Juniper Android devices:

The Survey123 for ArcGIS field app now runs on Leica Zeno 20 and Juniper Cedar CT7 and CT4 devices. This is great news for organizations who want to use Survey123 with high-end rugged field devices. Previous versions of Survey123 could not run on Zeno 20 and CT's due to specific limitations in the Android 4.1 operating system installed on these devices.

To make it easier for users of these devices to download Survey123, we also have published the Survey123 app into the Amazon app store.

Survey123 field app, enhancements:

Now supports three new appearances: spinner, numbers and calculator. More about these in an upcoming blog post.

Other fixes and enhancements.

BUG-000100131    When a cascading select question is set as repeating in a Survey123 for ArcGIS survey, navigating between multiple data points within the question deletes the information from previously answered questions
 ENH-000099729    Optional fields that contain response constraints that are left blank restrict users from submitting survey responses in Survey123.
 BUG-000099277    In Survey123 for ArcGIS, using the uuid() operator with repeats in a calculation only populates on the first record collected within the repeat.
 BUG-000098967    Survey123 Android and iOS - wrong position of the arrow_HE
 BUG-000098966    Survey123 for ArcGIS app page is LTR on iOS and Android_HE platforms.
 BUG-000098833    In Survey123 for ArcGIS v1.7, answers to cascading selects are removed when a survey is saved as a draft and then reopened.
 BUG-000098492    Default date and time values do not auto-populate when using repeats in Survey123 for ArcGIS.
 BUG-000098360    When downloading data from a Survery123 survey that was made using Survey123 for ArcGIS Hub, the field names are converted to {field_1}, {field_2}, ... instead of honoring the name in the data table.
 BUG-000098205    The Survey123 for ArcGIS app fails to launch on Leica Zeno 20 running the Android 4.2.2 operating system.
 BUG-000097678    Enterprise logins do not work for iOS and Android devices in the Survey123 for ArcGIS app.
 ENH-000097137    Documentation for Survey123 for ArcGIS Supported Operating systems is unclear as to what is considered a supported configuration
 BUG-000096040    MOR_LOC_LT: Truncated string in Settings-Map in Survey123 Connect
 BUG-000095634    MOR_I18N: Untranslated Settings tabs in Survey123 for ArcGIS Connect
 BUG-000095604    MOR_I18N: Untranslated buttons "Cancel" and "Choose" when browse for Library Folder
 BUG-000094990    MOR_I18N: Untranslated buttons "Cancel" and "Choose" when browse for Library Folder in Survey123 for ArcGIS app.
 BUG-000094965    MOR_I18N: Untranslated string "Map Library Folder" in Settings
 ENH-000093961    Enable auto populating for repeat questions based on the initial entry in Survey123 for ArcGIS app.
 ENH-000092045    Add Survey123 for ArcGIS (Android) app to Amazon Marketplace.
 ENH-000099729    Constraints are being evaluated against empty fields.

What is coming next?

We are now working towards our 1.10 release, which we plan to make available before the end of the year.  In this upcoming release our main goal is to:

• Overhaul our support for submission_url, which at the moment is quite limited. This work in 1.10 is for all of you who want to configure Survey123 smart forms on top of existing ArcGIS feature services.
  • Expand the Collaborate tab in the survey123 web site so you can let specific groups of people look at the Analyze and Data tabs.

We have also started work to address a few other big items which will be made available in early 2017:

• Support for editing workflows
  • Streamlined setup for ArcGIS Enterprise users (setup for on-premises deployments including the survey123 web site)
  • Complete localization of the help and survey123 web site

We all hope you enjoy this release. As usual, please keep reporting any issues and successes through the Survey123 GeoNet Group or Esri Technical Support. We take your feedback very seriously.

Tags (1)
23 Comments
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Are there still plans to allow more robust surveys created with Connect to be completed on the web via public URL?  If so, is there an ETA?

CarlHolt1
Occasional Contributor III

Where does one find the:

• Added support for e-mail type of questions.
BrandonKeinath1

This is very exciting but I don't know if the website has been updated to allow sharing to everyone.  This is what I see when I login to share my survey.  I logged in with a user that can share publicly and also a user that can't.  Both screens are the same.  I also tried making a survey using the webpage vs. survey123 connect and again the results are the same.  Help please!

IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi bradle934745_grd‌.  Yes, we are currently working towards fully supporting surveys authored in Connect from a web browser. It is looking like it will be a March 2017 deliverable, although if things go well we may release a technology preview earlier than that.

IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi cqholt‌.  The new e-mail questions can be added when authoring a survey from the web browser. e-mail questions are a new type added in 1.9.  In the blog post above there is a screenshot where you can see the new question type. You may want to click on the screenshot to see it  more clearly.

IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi bkeinath‌.  Would you please try refreshing your browser cache? You should see something like this:

CarlHolt1

Thank you for fixing: BUG-000098492    Default date and time values do not auto-populate when using repeats in Survey123 for ArcGIS. It works great now

BrandonKeinath1

Thanks Ismael.  I cleared my cache and the setting now looks like your screenshot.  Thanks for your quick response!  I don't know if you can change the blog post, but it does say I shouldn't need to clear my cache.

IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks Brandon for the suggestion. I agree.. I just updated the text indicating that refreshing the browser cache is necessary.

TL2
by

Thanks for the hard work, these monthly releases are awesome!  

Thanks for SAML support and thinking of us enterprise users!

Spinner feature is nice!

Can't wait for submission_url from existing (non-hosted) FS!

AnastasiaNaymushina
New Contributor III

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to open my public survey on my mobile device. I've managed to do it only scanning QR-code. Could you explain please, how to open Survey 123 app via the link sent by e-mail? My Samsung galaxy s4 mini doesn't seem to be able to open the link in e-mail.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

It works on iOS - I don´t have an Android to test on right here. I could check it out tomorrow.

ScottPrindle
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Anastasia,

I've encountered this as well, and it appears to be a security measure on Android devices when attempting to open custom URI schemes through email clients. I was able to successfully open a public survey on Android by creating and hosting an HTML document where the URL is placed in an anchor tag.

My HTML example contains an anchor that looks something like this:

<a href="arcgis-survey123://?itemID=541417be9a43421db432bc6adxxxxxx">Click here to open a public survey</a>

This issue is Android specific, and from my testing it occurs in native email clients as well as web clients. If you are able to host a webpage using the workaround above, it can be shared to distribute a public survey for use on Android devices.

Thanks,

Scott

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The ususal way of using URL-scheme didn´t work for me on Android. The workaround may work - but I wasn´t able to get it to work in an email or a document. Maybe it works in a popup in Collector.

CarlHolt1

So the only way to have Email capability is to first, create the survey via http://survey123.arcgis.com/surveys? The surveys created using Connect does not have this capability? Is there a way to create a new survey via the webm, from xls form? Will Survey Connect get this capability?

ScottPrindle
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Johan,

The custom URL scheme appears to be blocked in email clients on Android. This behavior could extend to the document you tried using as well, depending on the workflow used. Were you able to create a website maintaining the URL of your survey? What is the behavior you see in the document you attempted to use?

Pop-ups will work in Collector, as App Links are supported in a Custom Attribute Display. HTML can be used in a Custom Attribute Display, and the arcgis-survey123:// scheme will be recognized by Collector.

Thanks,

Scott

ScottPrindle
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Carl,

The new email question available on the website is a text question with a regular expression specified in the constraints to check for a valid email address. I was able to download a survey created on the website to examine this and found the following regular expression:

regex(.,'^(([^<>()\[\]\\.,;:\s@"]+(\.[^<>()\[\]\\.,;:\s@"]+)*)|(".+"))@((\[[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}])|(([a-zA-Z\-0-9]+\.)+[a-zA-Z]{2,}))$')

If you are familiar with regular expressions and would like to tweak this at all, this site is a good resource with examples and their expected outcomes.

Thanks,

Scott

CarlHolt1

That absolutely worked, thanks. Is there any future enhancement to include a new field type that will automatically have this constraint, for Survey123 Connect?

Any future enhancements to use this field to generate an email copy of the report?

zkovacs

Ismael Chivite

With the addition of Public surveys, this page needs to be updated too:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/formappcomparision.htm

IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks Zoltan!  The help has been amended.

zkovacs

Not sure if it's been rolled out yet, but I cannot see any change on the help page yet. It still says 'No' under 'Supports anonymous access' and the content of the 'Anonymous access' topic hasn't changed either.

MarikaVertzonis
Esri Regular Contributor

These updates will be pushed live with the 1.10 doc release. But yes, the anonymous access is available from 1.9 onward.

zkovacs

Thanks Marika!