Unable to Change Secondary Background Color in Custom Theme

Jump to solution
11-21-2022 04:53 PM
Labels (1)
ArielLow2146
Occasional Contributor II

I'm trying to create a new theme and I'm consistently unable to change the secondary background color. It is not possible to click on it from the second I create the theme and none of the changes I've tried have made it possible to change the color. Anyone have any ideas what I might be doing wrong? 

ArielLow2146_0-1669078267541.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @ArielLow2146! Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for providing feedback on this.

Currently, the secondary background color is shown in theme builder so it can be taken into account for color contrast calculations for accessibility, but it cannot be adjusted. It is determined automatically as a calculated variant of the primary background color. 

An update to document this is planned for Nov 30. We should also look at updating the help tooltip to communicate this in the theme builder.

We have discussed making the secondary background color adjustable, but there is some additional complexity involved due to the interrelatedness of theme colors. If this is something that is important to you and your organization, it would be great if you could please add a new idea on the ideas board with some information about why and how you'd use the capability to adjust the secondary background color and what value it would bring so others can also weigh in on this enhancement request.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

5 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @ArielLow2146! Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for providing feedback on this.

Currently, the secondary background color is shown in theme builder so it can be taken into account for color contrast calculations for accessibility, but it cannot be adjusted. It is determined automatically as a calculated variant of the primary background color. 

An update to document this is planned for Nov 30. We should also look at updating the help tooltip to communicate this in the theme builder.

We have discussed making the secondary background color adjustable, but there is some additional complexity involved due to the interrelatedness of theme colors. If this is something that is important to you and your organization, it would be great if you could please add a new idea on the ideas board with some information about why and how you'd use the capability to adjust the secondary background color and what value it would bring so others can also weigh in on this enhancement request.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
ArielLow2146

Thanks @OwenGeo !!

0 Kudos
LindsayWithers1
Occasional Contributor

I didn't see a specific Idea posted for this yet, did I overlook that, or any other updates on this functionality? We also would like control over that "Secondary background color" - the color that is automatically generated doesn't fit with our organization's branding color palette.

0 Kudos
ArielLow2146

@LindsayWithers1 looks like I hadn't posted an idea yet. Just fixed that! Here is the link to the idea if you'd like to give it a kudos.

0 Kudos
LindsayWithers1
Occasional Contributor

Awesome @ArielLow2146 - I've given it kudos!

0 Kudos