Spelling: is it Storymap or Story Map?

Jump to solution
01-27-2023 03:20 PM
JeremyDavies
New Contributor III

This may seem like a silly question, but which of these is correct: 'StoryMap' or 'Story Map'? I see it written both ways, even on Esri's website. I've even seen it spelled both ways within a single Esri blog post! As an example to illustrate my question: should it be written out in a title as 'Marine Debris Cleanup StoryMap', or 'Marine Debris Cleanup Story Map'?

Thanks for any guidance here! And if you happen to see this post Esri, maybe you could tell us your preference?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@JeremyDavies -- Thanks for the question! It's not a silly one, and we know we aren't going to get everyone to do it the "right" way in all situations, so we try not to make a big deal of it most of the time. 🙂

Our classic product is Esri Story Maps. The current generation product is ArcGIS StoryMaps. This is one reason why you might see it written differently. When you create a new item with ArcGIS StoryMaps, it's called a StoryMap (see screenshot, below).

If you're writing about the things you create with either of these products, we think it can be much simpler to just call them stories to avoid the whole issue. But if you prefer to use the full name, like in your example, I would suggest you use StoryMap.

Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 6.35.30 PM.jpg

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

2 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@JeremyDavies -- Thanks for the question! It's not a silly one, and we know we aren't going to get everyone to do it the "right" way in all situations, so we try not to make a big deal of it most of the time. 🙂

Our classic product is Esri Story Maps. The current generation product is ArcGIS StoryMaps. This is one reason why you might see it written differently. When you create a new item with ArcGIS StoryMaps, it's called a StoryMap (see screenshot, below).

If you're writing about the things you create with either of these products, we think it can be much simpler to just call them stories to avoid the whole issue. But if you prefer to use the full name, like in your example, I would suggest you use StoryMap.

Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 6.35.30 PM.jpg

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
JeremyDavies
New Contributor III

This is super helpful-- thank you Owen!

0 Kudos