Map Viewer's new drop shadow Effects do not appear in Storymap

Jump to solution
09-22-2021 05:57 AM
ScottHansen__MDP_
Occasional Contributor

For the first time, I used the new Map Viewer Effects toolbar and I added the drop shadow feature to a County web map (see images). I opened a Storymap with this map included, but the effects do not appear. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @ScottHansen__MDP_ -- Great to see you are jumping on using the new mapping features so quickly!

ArcGIS StoryMaps is on a different release cycle from ArcGIS Online. We release later this afternoon, so you'll be able to see the new effects in your stories after we push our update. Check back tonight or in the morning.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @ScottHansen__MDP_ -- Sorry for the confusion. This comment was posted the ArcGIS StoryMaps thread, so I assumed the question was referring to ArcGIS StoryMaps in my answer above (which still applies).

The map you're referring to is actually added to a Web AppBuilder app, which is in turn embedded inside a classic story map Series. If you open that WAB app directly in a separate browser tab you also won't see the effects.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=59815a040fa6459ebdb23e8048774391

Please note that Web AppBuilder, classic story maps, the classic map viewer, and other older ArcGIS apps do not support the new layer effects. The technical reason for this is that any application built on the previous 3.x version of the ArcGIS API for JavaScript (JSAPI) does not support the newer capabilities available in the current-generation 4.x version of the JSAPI.

Apps such as ArcGIS StoryMaps, Hub, Experience Builder, Instant Apps, the new Dashboards, the new Map Viewer, and others built on 4.x all support layer effects. Hope this clears things up. Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Owen Evans

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
FourCornersMapping
New Contributor III
Did you happen to ever open and save the map in Map Viewer Classic?
0 Kudos
ScottHansen__MDP_
Occasional Contributor
No, I do not use Map Viewer Classic. I open in Map Viewer only.
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @ScottHansen__MDP_ -- Great to see you are jumping on using the new mapping features so quickly!

ArcGIS StoryMaps is on a different release cycle from ArcGIS Online. We release later this afternoon, so you'll be able to see the new effects in your stories after we push our update. Check back tonight or in the morning.

Owen Evans
ScottHansen__MDP_
Occasional Contributor

Hello @OwenGeo , the drop shadow effects do not appear in my storymap. 

https://maryland.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=6281df9033f54f12a1a14ee59a5f855a  (look at the County tab as that map should have the blurred background and a drop shadow)

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @ScottHansen__MDP_ -- Sorry for the confusion. This comment was posted the ArcGIS StoryMaps thread, so I assumed the question was referring to ArcGIS StoryMaps in my answer above (which still applies).

The map you're referring to is actually added to a Web AppBuilder app, which is in turn embedded inside a classic story map Series. If you open that WAB app directly in a separate browser tab you also won't see the effects.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=59815a040fa6459ebdb23e8048774391

Please note that Web AppBuilder, classic story maps, the classic map viewer, and other older ArcGIS apps do not support the new layer effects. The technical reason for this is that any application built on the previous 3.x version of the ArcGIS API for JavaScript (JSAPI) does not support the newer capabilities available in the current-generation 4.x version of the JSAPI.

Apps such as ArcGIS StoryMaps, Hub, Experience Builder, Instant Apps, the new Dashboards, the new Map Viewer, and others built on 4.x all support layer effects. Hope this clears things up. Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
ScottHansen__MDP_
Occasional Contributor

@OwenGeo, until Experience Builder provides an infographics capability, we will not be able to use it for our dashboards. Experience Builder has its fair share of bugs, but now I have very few ESRI AGOL options. I cannot use the new Storymaps until the base map issue is sorted out and Experience Builder needs to increase its capabilities. How long will WAB and classic storymaps be supported? When do you anticipate Experience Builder having the same capabilities as WAB?  

0 Kudos
Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@ScottHansen__MDP_ The Chart widget in Experience Builder supports bar, line, and area types. It interacts with other widgets like Map, Filter, Table, Query, etc . For your questions related to WAB,  I pasted the following answers from the FAQs page.

Will ArcGIS Experience Builder replace ArcGIS Web AppBuilder?

For the online edition, Experience Builder will not replace Web AppBuilder nor make it obsolete. Both builders will be running and maintained in parallel. Web AppBuilder will continue to be available.

For the enterprise edition, Web AppBuilder follows the ArcGIS Enterprise product life cycle.

For the developer edition, Web AppBuilder follows the ArcGIS API for JavaScript 3.x product life cycle.

Will Experience Builder reach the functional parity of Web AppBuilder?

Starting with the core and popular widgets, Experience Builder is planned to reach most of the functional parity of Web AppBuilder through incremental releases.

Hope this helps,

Jianxia

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@ScottHansen__MDP_ -- I'm not the best person to provide information about the Experience Builder roadmap or the support lifecycle for WAB, but you can find out on those products' websites or ask on their Esri Community boards.

Classic story maps have entered Extended Support. They will continue to be available for several years, but we recommend using newer products such as ArcGIS StoryMaps, Instant Apps, Experience Builder, Hub, etc. whenever possible for new projects.

More information about what this means for the classic story map templates is contained in this article: Classic story map transition timeline (August 2021) (esri.com), but I've copied the critical information about extended support for classic stories below...

----------

What does extended support mean? 

Extended support is a standard term used by Esri to describe a later phase in the product lifecycle of its products. Full details can be found in this document, but the important pieces of information to know as they relate to the classic Esri Story Maps templates are listed below.

• Existing classic stories will generally continue to work and be accessible to your readers
  • Authors will be able to edit stories using the builder
  • No new features or enhancements will be added
  • No existing bugs will be addressed
  • If a critical issue arises due to future updates to web browsers or other related technologies, a software fix may be deployed to address it depending on the severity of the issue and the number of stories it affects

Customers can still contact Esri Technical Support for help using the classic templates throughout the extended support phase; however, Esri Support will not log any new enhancement requests for these apps.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos