Images flipped upside down in Story Map

Jump to solution
06-10-2022 10:51 AM
mrosekulick
New Contributor III

Hello! I have been building a story map for the past few months, and about a week ago, some of my photos started displaying upside down. I'm not sure how to fix this! Is it a bug, maybe?

Thanks for the help!

mrosekulick_0-1654883382800.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

We've heard reports of this happening sometimes where there is an issue with the rotation information stored in the original image. Try opening the photo in a simple image editing app (like Preview on the Mac or whatever comes with Windows) and manually rotating the image 360 degrees and then saving the image. That typically resets the information so that it will appear as expected after you upload it.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Could you ensure the image opens in the desired orientation in a Photo Viewer?

Maybe you could try rotating the image or cropping the image (slightly) and saving it as a new file, and try uploading again.

Think Location
0 Kudos
mrosekulick
New Contributor III

They are definitely oriented the correct way prior to upload. But I may just try redoing it! 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

We've heard reports of this happening sometimes where there is an issue with the rotation information stored in the original image. Try opening the photo in a simple image editing app (like Preview on the Mac or whatever comes with Windows) and manually rotating the image 360 degrees and then saving the image. That typically resets the information so that it will appear as expected after you upload it.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
mrosekulick
New Contributor III

I think that did the trick! Thanks for the help!