Create a collection for a classroom

Jump to solution
09-26-2022 05:24 PM
ChloeBell-Wilson
New Contributor

Hello, I would like a college classroom of about 20 students to be able to work on their own Storymap independently, then bring them together at the end of the semester to create one collection that we can publish. The expectation for these Storymaps does not require anything all that fancy, and the public account will be fine for the students.

However, it looks like to combine Storymaps, I need to have a license, either to 1) use the embed feature and embed each student's Storymap into one master Storymap (as commented here) or 2) have each student be licensed, perhaps through an educator account, so that we can make a group and then have a collection. I would like to repeat this assignment for several semesters, which would, I imagine, involve removing students from the list of licensed users. 

In an ideal world, I would prefer these outcomes:

1. Students can retain access to their work at the end of the semester

2. Multiple instructors could repeat this assignment, which may involve multiple licenses (?)

3. There is a minimal amount of behind the scenes work to produce a coherent collection of Storymaps when everyone is done. 

I am willing to purchase a license, but it seems like that might be overkill for the scope of the assignment. Has anyone ever tried to do something like this? Words of advice and guidance appreciated. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndrewHaglund
Esri Contributor

Chloe,

Your proposed use case is actually quite common across college and university campuses for a myriad of subject domains. This use case is best when a the campus has a Esri Enterprise License Agreement which allows unlimited faculty and student access to the Esri product suite including ArcGIS Storymaps. A large majority of campuses in the USA and many international campuses have this type of agreement in place. Please visit our resource for "Does my university have ArcGIS" to see if your campus may already have the requisite licensing. If not please contact us on the Higher Education team to see how we can help - highered@esri.com.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AndrewHaglund
Esri Contributor

Chloe,

Your proposed use case is actually quite common across college and university campuses for a myriad of subject domains. This use case is best when a the campus has a Esri Enterprise License Agreement which allows unlimited faculty and student access to the Esri product suite including ArcGIS Storymaps. A large majority of campuses in the USA and many international campuses have this type of agreement in place. Please visit our resource for "Does my university have ArcGIS" to see if your campus may already have the requisite licensing. If not please contact us on the Higher Education team to see how we can help - highered@esri.com.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Creating a collection is much easier if all the students are part of the same organization. Any of the participating students or the teacher can create a collection and add other items from the organization to the collection.

If public accounts are used by the students a collection can still be made, but all the stories just need to be published, shared with everyone, and then favorited by the person building the collection. Then the collection author can add all the stories to the collection from their favorites.

Here's a great tutorial with instructions and tips for creating collections: https://arcg.is/0TKqWv

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps