Control when to turn on mobile layout in new Story Map

09-02-2022 09:28 AM
SteveWilson1
New Contributor

Is there a way to control when to turn on mobile layout in new Story Map? 

I was trying adding ?mobileBreakPoint=300 to the end of the url, but it does not seem to work.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @SteveWilson1 -- Breakpoints are set globally for ArcGIS StoryMaps. Can I ask what requirements you have that are prompting you to try to set your own breakpoints? Also, where did you read that adding a URL parameter would have this effect?

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
SteveWilson1
New Contributor

Hi Owen, the breakpoints url code was from the URL parameters that work with web appbulder. I thought I would give it a shot. The other URL code that comes up for the older Storymaps is &forceDesktop that did not work and was not ideal anyway. I am actually using the StoryMap as an embed in our website and the max column width it was going into was is 664px. I was hoping I could use something like the URL parameter that web appbuilder used to just see how it would look if the break was set around there. Is ?cover=false the only URL parameter that works with the new story map, or are there some more? 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@SteveWilson1 -- Ah, thanks for the information. By its nature, Web AppBuilder has a widget-based layout, so perhaps that's why it supports adjustable breakpoints.

For ArcGIS StoryMaps the content can be stacked any way you want, but there's typically just one block or section active at a time, so generally the way a story looks on different screen sizes is optimal with the breakpoints that are already defined.

So, are you trying to show the mobile layout at a wider frame than it normally shows or the desktop layout in a smaller width frame? We could take a look at adding something like forceDesktop, but so far we haven't really seen or heard a need for it. Are there specific things about the story you are trying to embed that you think would look/work better if show in the other layout?

Other URL parameters ArcGIS StoryMaps supports:

• Force header to show when embedded: header=true
  • Hide header when not embedded: header=false
  • Enable autoplay: play=true
  • Set autoplay speed: speed=slow|medium|fast
  • Set organization's login page (see this blog  ) urlKey=[org-short-name]
Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
SteveWilson1
New Contributor

@OwenGeo - thanks for the info. I was trying to show a sidecar with the desktop side-by side look in a width of around 650 in an Story Map embed on a newspaper webpage. That is the size of the column that our stories go in on our webpage layout. The stacked mobile layout does not work that well with the map I have in the sidecar. It would look much better side-by-side. With the current breakpoints, a story map embed on our website will always be in the mobile layout, so it would be nice if we could tweak the positioning of elements in the mobile layout like you can in the desktop layout. Right now it looks like you can only preview the mobile layout in preview mode, but not tweak things like making the map/image take up more space than the text underneath in a sidecar.

0 Kudos