still struggling to get rid of this edge effect!!!!! any simple suggestion?

03-26-2023 07:00 AM
philcass2
New Contributor II

This will ruin my calculations for focal statistics 🙂

philcass2_1-1679839193920.png

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The area outside the lines has to be set to nodata.  If the lines represent the boundaries of polygons, use the data within the bounds and anything outside to nodata.

Rasters have a rectangular extent, there is no way of getting around that

... sort of retired...
philcass2
New Contributor II

'The area outside the lines has to be set to nodata.  If the lines represent the boundaries of polygons, use the data within the bounds and anything outside to nodata' - how do I do this? I am using focal statistics.

I am using raster data. Does this mean if I keep using rasters I will not be able to get rid of the effect?

0 Kudos
philcass2
New Contributor II

also how do I select to use the data within the bounds only?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Those bounds originated from a vector file, I am pretty sure.  If they did, get it, add a new field, call it "Dissolve", use the field calculator and calculate a value of   1  in it.  Open up the Dissolve tool in arctoolbox and dissolve the bounds using that field.  You will then have your area of interest I mentioned several threads ago.  Export that to raster will set the inside to 1 and the outside to nodata.  From that use that as your analysis mask to assign your input for focal stats to nodata.

If your focal statistics cell size was small and you were using a 3x3 window, you shouldn't see that blending that you are showing.  So you are doing something at the focal statistics level, like not specifying a small enough cell size or you didn't preprocess your data prior to doing the focal analysis

... sort of retired...
philcass2
New Contributor II

Thank you. I will give it a go now 🙂

0 Kudos