Create New Data Layer under WaterDistributionSystem Feature Layer?

05-04-2022 07:00 AM
MarkGroom
New Contributor III

Hi all.

I've been working with the Water Distribution Data Management Solution for a few weeks now, and it's been working great (appending asset data as the field staff collects it). I have a quick question -- we have existing Water Mains, as polylines, but the field staff has requested for the ability to log them as Point features. I would like to create a new Point data layer within the WaterDistributionSystem Solutions umbrella, the viewer, and editor layer. This class would ideally be a mirror of the existing Water Main polyline fc, but just as a point geometry.

What is the best methodology/workflow for creating a new Data Layer within AGOL/Pro for Water Main (Points) feature class? Is it opening the WaterDistributionSystem service in Pro, copying/renaming a existing layer, and publishing up/overwriting the current WaterDistributionSystem? I heed any workflows. We'd also want this Mains Point layer within the Editing and Viewer feature view layers; so once the umbrella WaterDistributionSystem is updated with the new Points layer - will it feed into the the Editor and Viewer layers? I'm assuming I will have to update the view.

Sorry for the ignorance, or if I'm seemingly overlooking something. I appreciate any input or tips. Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
WalterFeurer
New Contributor III

For my existing data, it was easier for me to Append the existing data while using the Water Distribution Data Manager Project Package in ArcPro.  Append the data in that format and it should update your Hosted Feature Layer back in AGOL.  I will say that taking time and correcting any data issues you might have ie. field names, conflicts with types so on are much easier to fix up front than after the Append.  

It was also easier for me to just incorporate some existing layers into the project separately and not use the packaged layer as there was no easy way to add additional layers or in my case tables to the Solutions packaged Feature Layers.  This example was my existing Fire Hydrant layer and tables...  much easier to just use what I had than try and Append to the package layer, and like I said I found no way to add additional tables in a relation to use in the field. 

0 Kudos