Adding x and y offset to a Point

Jump to solution
11-14-2021 11:07 PM
FatmaAkdemir
Occasional Contributor

I want to obtain a new Point (geodetic) by adding x and y offset (in meters) to another Point. Is there any class or function to do that like in the case of GeodeticDistanceResult?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndrewBladon
Esri Contributor
Hi Fatma - thank you for your message.

Yes, you can create a new point by applying an offset to an existing point using the GeometryEngine::moveGeodetic method (or GeometryEngine.moveGeodetic method using Qml). This allows you to offset a point/points by a specified distance and azimuth.

If you would like to apply an offset in the x and y directions, you could use the moveGeodetic method twice, once in the x-direction and then again in the y-direction. Please find an example of this using the C++ api below, where:
  • An initial point initialPoint is created.
  • initialPoint is converted from a Point object into a QList<Point> called initialPointList for compatability with the GeometryEngine::moveGeodetic method arguments.
  • initialPointList is offset by 1000m in the y-direction to create a new QList<Point> called yOffsetPoint.
  • yOffsetPoint is offset by 500m in the x-direction to create a new QList<Point> called offsetPointList.
  • The offset point is converted from the QList<Point> into a Point called offsetPoint.

// Define initial point.
Point initialPoint(7.65851, 45.97661, SpatialReference::wgs84());

// Apply 1000m offset in the y-direction (i.e. azimuth = 0 deg).
QList<Point> initialPointList{initialPoint};
QList<Point> yOffsetPoint = GeometryEngine::moveGeodetic(initialPointList, 1000, LinearUnit::meters(), 0.0f, AngularUnit::degrees(), GeodeticCurveType::GreatElliptic);

// Apply 500m offset in the x-direction (i.e. azimuth = 90 deg).
QList<Point> offsetPointList = GeometryEngine::moveGeodetic(yOffsetPoint, 500, LinearUnit::meters(), 90.0f, AngularUnit::degrees(), GeodeticCurveType::GreatElliptic);

// Convert offsetPointList from QList<Point> to Point.
Point offsetPoint = offsetPointList.at(0);

I hope this helps you achieve your desired result. Let us know if we can provide you with any further information.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AndrewBladon
Esri Contributor
Hi Fatma - thank you for your message.

Yes, you can create a new point by applying an offset to an existing point using the GeometryEngine::moveGeodetic method (or GeometryEngine.moveGeodetic method using Qml). This allows you to offset a point/points by a specified distance and azimuth.

If you would like to apply an offset in the x and y directions, you could use the moveGeodetic method twice, once in the x-direction and then again in the y-direction. Please find an example of this using the C++ api below, where:
  • An initial point initialPoint is created.
  • initialPoint is converted from a Point object into a QList<Point> called initialPointList for compatability with the GeometryEngine::moveGeodetic method arguments.
  • initialPointList is offset by 1000m in the y-direction to create a new QList<Point> called yOffsetPoint.
  • yOffsetPoint is offset by 500m in the x-direction to create a new QList<Point> called offsetPointList.
  • The offset point is converted from the QList<Point> into a Point called offsetPoint.

// Define initial point.
Point initialPoint(7.65851, 45.97661, SpatialReference::wgs84());

// Apply 1000m offset in the y-direction (i.e. azimuth = 0 deg).
QList<Point> initialPointList{initialPoint};
QList<Point> yOffsetPoint = GeometryEngine::moveGeodetic(initialPointList, 1000, LinearUnit::meters(), 0.0f, AngularUnit::degrees(), GeodeticCurveType::GreatElliptic);

// Apply 500m offset in the x-direction (i.e. azimuth = 90 deg).
QList<Point> offsetPointList = GeometryEngine::moveGeodetic(yOffsetPoint, 500, LinearUnit::meters(), 90.0f, AngularUnit::degrees(), GeodeticCurveType::GreatElliptic);

// Convert offsetPointList from QList<Point> to Point.
Point offsetPoint = offsetPointList.at(0);

I hope this helps you achieve your desired result. Let us know if we can provide you with any further information.

View solution in original post

FatmaAkdemir
Occasional Contributor

Thank you very much @AndrewBladon !  I guess I have overlooked this method of GeometryEngine.

0 Kudos