Using ArcGIS Runtime .NET for services

Jump to solution
12-10-2015 06:31 AM
FrederiekJonckheere
New Contributor

Is it allowed to build a .NET service for ReverseGeoCoding (LocalLocatorTask) which runs on a server?

We would like to build a service which translates GPS-coordinates to addresses using ArcGIS  Runtime SDK for .NET. We are already licensed to use the Standard license needed for LocalLocators.

But now we've heard is not allowed to build server applications, is this true and where can I find this in the terms and conditions?

Thanks,

Frederiek

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FreddieGibson
Occasional Contributor III

I've put together a screenshot from the attached EULA. This legal notice is installed in the legal subfolder of the ArcGIS Runtime SDK installation folder.

license.png

View solution in original post

3 Replies
FreddieGibson

I've put together a screenshot from the attached EULA. This legal notice is installed in the legal subfolder of the ArcGIS Runtime SDK installation folder.

license.png

FrederiekJonckheere
New Contributor

Thanks, but what is the difference with ArcGIS Runtime Standard Level (next point in developer tools). Additional term 19 is not mentionned there.

When we use a payed Standard license, don't we use that case?

0 Kudos
FreddieGibson

The response from our legal department is that the two entries are for i) the SDK and ii) the Runtime component.

The first entry outlines the intended use of the SDK. It states that the SDK is licensed to allow customers to build mobile value-added applications and is subject to the general license terms found in the Esri Master License Agreement (MLA) (FN 16). Among other restrictions, the general license terms prohibit the customer from redistributing the SDK or using it for service bureau purposes or to develop internet applications (FN 19).

The second entry outlines the intended use of a component of the SDK, which in this case is the Standard Level License. It states that the licensee may redistribute the Runtime component (i.e. the license) as part of its value added application (FN 15; also see Article 1 of the MLA for the meaning of the term "Deployment License"). It is also understood that Esri charges a fee in some cases to deploy the Runtime component and a separate license is required for combination of value-added application and computer (FN 18).

In your case both entries would be applicable. As a result of using the SDK, the first entry would prohibit you from developing Internet or server-based Value-Added applications. In contrast to the SDK, the second entry would allow you to redistribute your Runtime license as part of your application.

Let me know if this makes sense.