TextSymbol being rendered incorrectly when passing across International Date Lines

04-27-2017 06:21 AM
DavidLloyd
New Contributor

Hi All,

I have noticed an oddity with rendering a TextSymbol whilst it passes across the international Date Line.
I have created a CompositeSymbol, consisting of a SimpleFillSymbol and a TextSymbol, then rendered this to the map across the international date line. To see this in action run the attached application and zoom out to the fullest extent, zoom in and out a few times to get it to render incorrectly. After zooming in and out a few times I noticed that the Symbol is rendered way outside the shape appearing in the middle of the map.

Firstly I need to understand why it renders two TextSymbols in GraphicsRenderingMode.Static and only one in GraphicsRenderingMode.Dynamic, and also why its rendered out of bounds sometimes? Bug?

I have attached two screenshots outlining the issue, and a sample application to demo the issue. Note there is a button at the top to switch GraphicsRenderingMode to highlight that Dynamic works fine, but Static exhibits the described behaviour. Also you will need to run nuget to get the latest ArcGIS packages to make it compile (adding this in the project makes the Zip file 100+ mb)

Any ideas what is going on? Is this a known issue? Any help appreciated. 

Regards,

Dave

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

I've raised a couple of bugs on the basis of this post. 

1. TextSymbol for Polygon Graphic rendered in Static mode is displayed in the wrong location.

2. Polygon Graphic spanning the dateline displays incorrectly in Static mode.

A potential workaround for 2. is to call GeometryEngine.NormalizeCentralMeridian on your polygon geometry. But in Dynamic mode that introduces an additional line splitting the shape on the dateline. Whilst Static and Dynamic modes do then at least display consistently, the additional line is obviously unwelcome.

Thanks for the excellent repro app.

Cheers

Mike

DavidLloyd
New Contributor

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply, I will have a play about with your comments on point 2) and see what I can do with the NormalizeCentralMeridian call.

Regards,

Dave

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

This should be resolved in the recent v100.2 release.

Please download the latest Visual Studio extension from ArcGIS for Developers or update your NuGet packages via the NuGet package manager.

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos