How to put more than one PreplannedWorkArea on the map together?

09-09-2022 08:29 AM
JeremyBridges
Occasional Contributor

There doesn't seem to be any way to put multiple pre-planned work areas on the map together. I can download as many as I want to disk, but the user must select one and only one to see on the MapView. Is there a way to copy layers from one Map to another, while still supporting query and UN traces properly?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JeremyBridges
Occasional Contributor

Side note: if there was a way to start the app offline, create a map from a web map, with a backup cache configured, that would be a very workable alternative. Then, when offline, the app would show and query the backup cache for searches and traces. When online, the app could opt to query the online sources alongside or instead of the offline cache. I don't think I've seen of anything like that in Runtime, but maybe I've just overlooked something.

0 Kudos
JoeHershman
MVP Regular Contributor

It sounds like what you want to do is not really the pre-planned workflow.  The offline map workflow is designed to have an exact WebMap in an offline mode 

There are other ways to take data offline.  For what you describe, seems you are looking for a way to take data offline in a more generic way and create the maps from that offline data Generate geodatabase replica from feature service.  I think this would be fine with UN stuff, but it has been a while since I played around with doing UN tracing offline, so not 100% sure

That said, if you really wanted to get creative you could load layers from one offline web maps and in theory add the to another, but that seems like a complex approach 

Thanks,
-Joe
0 Kudos
JeremyBridges
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for chiming in. I agree. Sync replicas would be a fine way to do this work if that was supported well in Runtime. Unfortunately, it looks like the symbology that is published with UN feature services is not published to Server, only to Portal. So, the sync replicas don't contain any of the rich CIM-JSON symbology used when looking at an online layer. So, when we tested this fully offline, the map is really stark with just plain gray lines and points.

As for UN tracing, this might be odd. Each Geodatabase object in Runtime is a representative of one sync replica. The Geodatabase object is how you get the UtilityNetwork:

https://developers.arcgis.com/net/api-reference/api/netwin/Esri.ArcGISRuntime/Esri.ArcGISRuntime.Dat...

If you had separate replicas covering different areas of the map, each would have their own UtilityNetworks. I don't think one can specify multiple UtilityNetworks for a trace. So, any one trace would be confined to a single area. I guess one could dig around in a trace result, looking for edges that spanned into other areas and then continue the trace into those regions too. But, not very easy to manage. Certainly feels like something Runtime should manage.

0 Kudos