can ArcGIS Pro use cartographic representation

Jump to solution
08-04-2017 08:50 AM
MikkelHylden
Occasional Contributor

We have a client that uses a cartographic representation to show some objects at an offset from where the geometry is.  This is done in ArcMap with the cartographic representation, but does not appear to work the same way in ArcGIS Pro (for publishing using the Runtime 100.1) for consumption on mobile devices. 

Does anyone know if there is a workaround for this?  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Have a look at the tools that are not available  which means if they aren't available there, it is unlikely they would appear for use elsewhere.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Have a look at the tools that are not available  which means if they aren't available there, it is unlikely they would appear for use elsewhere.

0 Kudos
MikkelHylden
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the link Dan - at least I have a better list of what doesn't work.  

Now to figure out a workaround...  

0 Kudos
TimLangner
Occasional Contributor III

Did you find a workaround?

Does anyone know how you offset in ArcGIS Pro or is it simply something ESRI need customers to add as an idea to the Ideas site to gauge if they think it worth implementing?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I think that if it made it to the list that they know isn't available, it will appear because they know that it is wanted.  Usually the ideas are for things that the dev staff may not be aware of

TimLangner

I take your point but I've come to the conclusion that anything is possible with ESRI.

Today I was copying and pasting a text box; text; scale bar; north arrow and line elements from one ArcGIS Pro document to another and it never kept the formatting or size.

With the scale bar and north arrow it decided they would not use the Map Frame but none, so they didn't appear correctly. It wasn't obvious what the issue was. That was in addition to everything not keeping the correct size.

I then created a legend and it took over 5 minutes to appear. The legend had a mix of raster and vector layers. I have 16GB of RAM and an i7 laptop. 16GB is the optimum RAM ESRI recommend for ArcGIS Pro, so it shouldn't be taking 5 minutes. Once the legend did appear, I then removed all the rasters and other layers I didn't actually need. This software isn't cheap, so I expect a lot from it.

Anyway I'm still interested in anyone found a work around for the offsetting issue. I don't believe it is possible to take ArcGIS Pro documents and put them back into ArcMap. I enjoyed using ArcGIS Pro for part of my current project because I could undertake joins across multiple storage locations. However if I can't produce a map at the end of it, then it's perhaps pointless.

RichardQuodomine1
New Contributor III

I found a tool called "Disperse Markers" in the Cartography Tools set of the Toolkit. Will that work for you? I've had the same issue.

0 Kudos
Santa_Clara_CountyParks_and_Re
New Contributor II

From what I understand, Esri has no plan to reintroduce the cartographic representation. After banging my head on my keyboard for several weeks to try and address how I was going to port my symbology, I've identified a few potential workarounds:

Option 1, Multiple Feature Classes: Create multiple feature classes for each scale that you need to symbolize. This is obviously very cumbersome, because it now means you have to maintain those feature classes independently. One idea to assist there is to create a composite relationship class between them to help cross the gap when editing your data.

Option 2, Annotations: Use something like glyphter.com to convert svg symbols to fonts, then convert your symbols to feature-linked annotation.  You will need to use the original layer to generate symbols in the legend, but that's not much of a hurdle. Nice advantage here is that you can use leader lines to connect your symbols to their true locations.

Option 3, Offset Fields:  Define your point offsets in two fields Offset_X and Offset_Y, then make sure the "Allow Symbol Property Connections" box is checked in the Symbology dialog box.  Then you will need to edit your records in the table to place things as needed; no editing the offset placement directly.  A quirk at the moment is that the offsets actually affect the positions of symbols in your legend, but you can work around this by adding another non-offset (and not visible) layer to your table of contents.

Esri, symbol offsets by geographic distance would probably be very helpful to some.  Also, a tool to make edits to your Offset fields would go a long way to replace Cartographic Representation functionality.

Hope that helps!

Seth

DalindaDamm
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for these useful potential workarounds Seth.

Can anyone confirm that Cartographic Representations will NOT be included in ArcGIS Pro moving forward?

TimLangner

I now need this for lines. It's also in a corporate database so I don't really want to create a parallel version.

One option is to make one of the lines thicker than the other so it displays underneath. I'd rather they were side by side though.

I will also search arcgis ideas and if their is no idea, I will add it.