ArcGIS Runtime SDK connection with Oracle (19c) Geodatabase

Jump to solution
10-18-2021 04:52 AM
HammadMuddassir
New Contributor

Hi, I am new at ArcGIS runtime SDK. Is there anyway this sdk can connect with oracle 19c Geodatabase (local machine)? if there is a way, can anyone give me links of some documents or sample codes. Any help will be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor

@HammadMuddassir 10.2.4 of ArcGIS Runtime is a very old release and no longer supported.  It sounds like you are migrating an app from Map Objects, so replacing it with another outdated product isn't recommended.

You need to be using the latest version which is 100.12.0.  

I really would step back and look at your workflows and see if you can modernise them.  Although we do support direct connect to SDE databases via Local Server, there will be a license cost implication to using this.  It is likely to be more cost effective to access your data using an ArcGIS Server instance and there are several other benefits to using this as I've detailed in an earlier post.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor

The usual way of accessing the data is via a feature service which is published using ArcGIS Server.  This gives you the rest endpoints for accessing the data which we conveniently have API for accessing.

This is an example of how you would access the data via a feature service: https://github.com/Esri/arcgis-runtime-samples-java/tree/main/feature_layers/feature-layer-feature-s...

There are other workflows available, but its probably best if you explain exactly what you are trying to achieve and we can give you some ideas of the best solution.

0 Kudos
HammadMuddassir
New Contributor

I want to access Oracle 19c directly without using ArcGIS server. Before I was using MOJ (Map Object Java) , where this task can be done using "SEConnection".Now I want to find a similar way using this ArcGIS java runtime SDK if its possible.

0 Kudos
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor

There is possibly a way of achieving this using the Local Server product which is part of ArcGIS Runtime.  I am finding out if this is still a supported workflow and will report back.

0 Kudos
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor

@HammadMuddassir the local server route I'm told will work for you.

The easiest way if you are always using the same data source is to create map package (with the correct settings so the data is not included in the map package).  You can then start up a Local Server instance and access the service via Local Server.

Another approach which again uses local server will be to use the EnterpriseGeodatabaseWorkspace class for SDE connections.

Whilst this workflow is supported currently, it isn't current best practice and I can't guarantee it won't be deprecated in the future.  Accessing data via a service published in ArcGIS Server has a number of advantages compared to using SDE connections:

- It scales better for larger implementations

- ArcGIS Server Feature Services gives you symbol styles for the data

- Its more secure to use ArcGIS Server rather than allowing direct database access

- You have access to offline workflows and more robust editing workflows

0 Kudos
HammadMuddassir
New Contributor

I am using  ArcGIS Runtime for java 10.2.4. I am using this because its the last version that supports "SWING".

I can't find EnterpriseGeodatabaseWorkspace class and also can't find any example of  local server. Can you kindly give me some links / code examples for the above solution.

0 Kudos
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor

@HammadMuddassir 10.2.4 of ArcGIS Runtime is a very old release and no longer supported.  It sounds like you are migrating an app from Map Objects, so replacing it with another outdated product isn't recommended.

You need to be using the latest version which is 100.12.0.  

I really would step back and look at your workflows and see if you can modernise them.  Although we do support direct connect to SDE databases via Local Server, there will be a license cost implication to using this.  It is likely to be more cost effective to access your data using an ArcGIS Server instance and there are several other benefits to using this as I've detailed in an earlier post.

0 Kudos
HammadMuddassir
New Contributor

Thank you , I will look into ArcGIS server. 

0 Kudos