Using Attribute Rules with LRS Line Network

Jump to solution
11-03-2022 10:39 PM
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon
Occasional Contributor II

Is anybody using Attribute Rules with their LRS Line Network?

The reason I ask is that I have been trying to do so, because I have a requirement to provide some additional fields on my LRS Line Network for another part of the business.  The fields are things like start and end measures, and length in metres when our data is stored as lat/long in a Geographic Coordinate System (GDA2020).

Some tools seem to work happily with them, a few (e.g. Realign Route, Extend Route) do not error but appear not to always give the results that I expect, and a few others (e.g. Delete Route, Append Routes) give errors that make me suspicious of the Attribute Rules.

In any event, to try and simplify my data model for now, I am planning to back them out, and replace them with a script that does just-in-time calculations of fields and geometry attributes when the other parts of the business need them.

I am using ArcGIS Pro 3.0.2 and ArcGIS Enterprise 11 with the Location Referencing license from ArcGIS Roads and Highways.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon

I've not yet heard from our local Technical Support but in the meantime, as you will have seen at the two postings that I provided them with links for, by following your advice there to make sure my Attribute Rule triggers were all INSERT+UPDATE and not just INSERT, has enabled my Attribute Rules to perform as desired.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@GraemeBrowning_Aurizon Attribute Rules are configured at the geodatabase and solutions like Roads and Highways are expected to inherit/honor them. It is a common usage pattern to leverage attribute rules to persist and maintain measure attributes on LRS networks. The issues may be related to how the attribute rule expressions are scripted. You can log a Esri Technical Support case to get them reviewed.

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
0 Kudos
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon

I have now logged an Esri Technical Support case with our local distributor which is based on Extend Route appears to ignore Attribute Rules - Esri Community but also references Realign Route appears to ignore Attribute Rules - Esri Community and this post.

0 Kudos
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon

I've not yet heard from our local Technical Support but in the meantime, as you will have seen at the two postings that I provided them with links for, by following your advice there to make sure my Attribute Rule triggers were all INSERT+UPDATE and not just INSERT, has enabled my Attribute Rules to perform as desired.