Pulling M values from an overlapping LRS network

05-09-2023 12:00 PM
r_hanson
New Contributor

I have two LRS networks that overlay exactly, but the measure values and route segmentations are different for both. With events that are registered to the first network, I am looking to populate secondary attribute fields with the start and end m-values from the corresponding positions of the second network. I'm attempting to do this using an Arcade based attribute rule triggered by both inserts and edits.

I first tried to create an intersection, but the polyline object the Intersection function creates does not retain the m values of the intersected network. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@r_hanson Assuming Roads & Highways is in-use, try Translate Event Measures

If Location Referencing is not in-use, use Transform Route Events that works against Event Table.

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
0 Kudos
r_hanson
New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion Ayan.

I'm not sure that a GP tool provides the functionality that I am looking for though. There are two specific issues with using Translate Route Events with this particular use case. One, I am trying to populate an attribute in the edited or created event based on the secondary LRS values. TEM does not modify the input but instead creates an additional feature class as an output. Second, I am trying to do this using an Arcade attribute rule so that the functionality is simply triggered in the back-ground when an editor modifies or creates an event, thus keeping the attribute field updated with each edit.

If there is a way to to satisfy both of the above conditions by incorporating TEM into the solution, I would love to hear how that is done.

Thanks again for the response.

0 Kudos
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@r_hanson I am not aware of LRS/Location Referencing specific arcade functions like 'Translate' that can be applied for attribute rule. I will let other arcade/AR experts chime in but the primary option is using geometry functions. Likely need to build quite a bit of logic to get the desired results. 

There is also a REST call to translate measures. Nevertheless, I wanted to make you aware of the LRS GP tools/REST API.

If you have this requirement to constantly maintain the additional network attributes for multiple events, consider using a Line Network and have a Derived Network. Derived network attributes can then be updated using LRS gp Derive Event Measures 

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
0 Kudos